Hearing Loss Expert Forum
Hearing loss from gun range

Questions in the Hearing Loss expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Hearing loss from gun range

I recently went to the gun range and have lost most of my hearing in my left ear. I was wearing ear protection, but I still have hearing loss in my left ear and it is completely numb. I don't know if I should go to the ER or should I wait to see an ENT specialist? Please help!
Hello, thank you for using this forum.  You absolutely should see an ENT and have a full diagnostic audiogram.  Most likely you have exposed your left ear to a noise trauma and now have noise-induced temporary threshold shift (NITTS).

NITTS is when you experience a reduction in hearing following exposure to loud sound.  Symptoms are feelings of fullness, reduction in hearing sensitivity and tinnitus.  These symptoms may be brief but also may last up to several hours or days.

The amount of NITTS that occurs and the duration of the recovery are related to the duration and intensity of the noise.

There is also something known as noise-induced permanent threshold shift and this happens when you experience permanent hearing loss following several NITTS experiences.  

I would seek a consult with an otologist as soon as possible to further discuss your symptoms.

Thank you,

Rachele M. Orsini, Au.D.