Hearing Loss Community
Hearing loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Hearing loss

I have sudden hearing total loss in my left ear. Could anyone give any possible causes? I had been  given two steroid injections in the ear. There was no response.
We commonly never find a specific diagnosis for this condition.  There are some uncommon causes that are tested for -- Autoimmune inflammation, certain viral infections, ischemia/clot, certain benign tumors, and so on...I imagine a variety of tests were offered.  Starting steroids early is the only treatment for which there is any proven benefit (and even this is not very robust).  Time will tell whether it comes back.
I will have MRI to get a clearer picture of my inner ear and brain. Can anyone tell me If MRI can really reveal the true causes of sudden hearing loss?
An MRI can detect some of the potential causes (an inner ear mass/tumor, inflammation of a nerve or parts of the inner ear, anatomic anomalies).  It is not meant to detect all potential causes.
Can anyone tell why my sudden hearing loss is accompanied by balance problems and tinnitus? I may stagger while walking if I do not concentrate to do so.
The inner ear has 2 functions - hearing and balance.  These 2 functions are not well divided, so commonly when one area is affected, so is the other.  You need to be very cautious about this -- a fall and additional injury is the last thing you need!  The tinnitus is basically how the inner ear responds to injury/insult.  Knees get bruised, ears ring; that sort of thing.  
Thanks for your continued explanations. I do not know why my tinnitus seems to intensify while I am in a noisy environment or taking a shower, since my left ear is already declared totally deaf. Why does a deaf ear still respond to external noise or stimuli?
There are people who have tinnitus even with a deaf ear.  Tinnitus is not thought to be a response to external stimuli, rather a phenomenon of inner ear/brain (auditory processing) dysfunction.  Beyond that, there is much still to be learned about tinnitus, what exactly it is, why some get it and some don't, etc.
I do not know whether tinnitus will consume more bodily energy or not. It seems to me that I have to eat more since the occurrence of tinnitus. Does the noise of tinnitus mean a continous energy consumption? My neck is also somewhat stiff. I wonder if this has connection with tinnitus and hearing loss.
It is doubtful that Tinnitus causes an increase in the matabolism. Considering that around 80% of all those over 60yrs old have some type of hearing loss, and considering around 90% of them have tinnitus, and then considering how many overwieght 60+ year olds there....   I do not see a link between tinnitus and an increase in metabolisim.

That said, I think you may be going through some depression and in your case, this is your response to it. Furhter, if this would have been a gradual onset, I doubt you would have responded so severely to it.

Now, you need audiological testing, you need to know the severity of your hearing loss. If there is as little as 6dB difference between the two ears, you will percieve the weaker ear as totally deaf.  So again, you need testing.  

You should be medically treated, usually acycloviar (sp) (Valtrex) and prednizone (sp). You should have audiometric evaluations done while you are under treatment in order to monitor the progression of your hearing.  You also NEED to tell your doctor if you have diabeties or not before you start such medications.

In the end, if your hearing loss is permanent, and if there is some residual hearing left, a hearing aid can be worn, to help you hear better, and it will diminish the tinnitus. That said, hearing aids are not a cure for either tinnitus or hearing loss.

One more note, I hope they use contrast with the MRI, other wise the MRI will have little diagnostic value.

I wish you luck

AuD ccc-a
I was confimed to have SSHL. I wonder if SSHL must be accompanied by tinnitus and balance problems. Also I do not know whether tinnitus will consume more bodily energy or not. It seems to me that I have to eat more since the occurrence of tinnitus. Does the noise of tinnitus mean a continous energy consumption? My neck is also somewhat stiff. I wonder if this has connection with tinnitus and hearing loss. Any comments would be appreciated.
I was confimed to have SSHL. I wonder if SSHL must be accompanied by tinnitus and balance problems.

It commonly does, but not always. Some people with SSNHL only realize they have it when they pick up the phone and it sounds "weaker" than normal.

there is a lot of infor about SSNHL all over the net.

Regarding your increase in apetitie, any comments that I would have to make about that would be pure speculation
For all you of out there diagnosied with SNHL . Thought of posting my story ...
Diagnoised with sudden hearing loss around April ..with no impovemnt in test results ..initially ..but after 6 months or so .. my results were almost close to normal ...
Being thru a lot of frustration with the Docs .. and carried out my own .. treatment plan .After all this i am writing this to let ppl know there is some hope out there ..when you do combination therapy one therapy will not work ..atleast in my case .

Here is wot i did ... :
   1. Was able to take steriods within 3 days of onset symptoms .
   2. Presidisone + Ear Injections ....==== Did not help or see any imporvement for 1st month
    3. Then i started heavily on the Vitamins (B12) + Magnesium + Gingko + Antioxidant .. for 3-5 months continous .. Gingko showed great results atleast intially
   4. At last out of much frustation i have used Cinnazarine (anti histamine) for tinnitus .. this really helped my tinittus is almost softer now.

All in all my if you dont see a response in 1-2 months dont worry stick to you guts and follow your plan . **Only Combination Therapy Works **
Hi friends,

Hearing loss is yet another disease among the people.There are 40 percent people suffered the problem of hearing loss.What is the treatment for who suffered the problem of hearing loss in life? could you please share with us?

Thanks a lot
Ademola Okubena
Hi Ademola,

Welcome to the Hearing Loss community. There are so many reasons for hearing loss, and there are many treatments as well.
-Hearing aids
-Surgery
-Cochlear implants
-Auditory brainstem implants
-BAHAs

The treatment depends on the cause. Unfortunately, there are also times when no treatment will work.

Can you share a little about your hearing loss?

BC