Hearing Loss Expert Forum
Hearing problem after chicken pox disease.

Questions in the Hearing Loss expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

My niece has vicing problem from her birth itself. She always get cold or fever because of no mother feeding from the seventh day she born(Because my sister is affected by Typhoid once she delivered the Baby). We thought that because of immunity problem she has that dust allergy, so she is getting that problem also we have confirmed with the doctor. 2 years back she got Mums. After the Mums has been got cured, she is affected by one ear hearing problem. That is she can hear through one ear but not through other ear. We took all the test.. They are as follows.

1) Audiology (Right ear moderate cdHL - hearing loss - 30%, Left side severe hearing loss - 70%)
2) Complete ear test in ENT research foundation, chennai

Doctor prescribed: betahistine 8mg.
Will this work for her ? will she hear anything soon? Or do we need to take any other treatment apart from this?

As she is a girl we need to take too much of concern on hearing problem. Please do guide us or advice us how to proceed with this..
Please continue to follow up with the ENT and audiologist to make sure that she gets the proper treatment.  Hearing is so important for speech and educational development.
I guess your abbreviation "cdHL" means "conductive hearing loss."  I assume that the ENT saw a fluid build-up in the middle ear.  This often happens from Eustachian tube dysfunction.  This is the tube that runs from the middle ear to the back of the nose and is responsible for draining the ear.  Antihistamines, like betahistine, have been reported by some to help with Eustachian tube dysfunction as they can decrease swelling in the nose, which can, in turn, allow the Eustachian tubes to open and to drain the middle ear.  However, many studies in the ENT literature have proven that they don't work.  What might be better are nasal steroid sprays.  This would only help to improve hearing in the right ear alone, if that ear does have a conductive hearing loss from a fluid build-up.  For the left ear, her best options at this point are a conventional hearing aid or even a bone-anchored hearing aid, which is placed in the operating room by fellowship-trained ear surgeon (neuro-otologist).  General ENTs do not do this procedure generally.