Hearing Loss Expert Forum
Hearing problem?

Questions in the Hearing Loss expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Hearing problem?

There is continuous blowing/wind-like noise in my right ear for the past 7 years. I tried to get professional help and all the doctors/ENT specialists are telling me there is no serious problem. But I am not convinced as sometimes I feel reduced hearing.

Could it be something serious? Is there any medical help?

Thank you
Thank you for using this forum. There are several medical conditions that could cause this symptom.  When you visited an ENT specialist did they do any imaging such as an MRI or CT scan?

Here are a few things that could cause that symptom and you would want to talk to your physician for medical management.

1. If you are also having dizziness or vertigo, it could be Meniere's Disease.  Meniere's Disease has symptoms of unilateral tinnitus in the form of a "roaring" sounds, hearing loss and vertigo. Those are the three main symptoms of Meniere's Disease.

2. Anytime there is unilateral tinnitus, Audiologist are required to recommend medical management to determine the etiology of the unilateral tinnitus.  Often the ENT specialist will recommend an MRI or an ABR to rule out anything that could be affecting the 8th nerve and beyond.

3.  It could also be related to blood flow to the inner ear.  Have you had your carotid artery checked for blockage?  Heart Disease, Diabetes, some medications can all have adverse affects to our hearing and balance so it is a matter of ruling out causes to determine the real reason for your symptoms.

You will definitely need to continue to follow up with your Physician and I would also start with having a full diagnostic hearing evaluation.

I hope this information is helpful for you.

Thank you,

Rachele M. Orsini, Au.D.
Dear Dr Orsini,

Thank you very much for taking your precious time to explain the possible causes and solutions to my ear problem. The info  has been really helpful  and I will definitely continue to visit my physician for more checkup.