Hearing Loss Community
Help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Help

Hi there!
I'm a 25 year old female, living in Canberra, australia, with hearing loss to both ears. At the age of 17, I realized that I was missing out on a lot of things in school and in general conversation and decided to get my hearing checked. Turns out I was right and from that day onwards, it seems my life changed forever. I was to wear behind the ear hearing aids for the rest of my life. At first I accepted it and did not care too much about it ( probably due to my age, I didn't realize the full impact it would have on my life) but it seems the older I get, the more I try to hide the fact that I'm deaf and need that little extra attention, so to speak, in everyday life. I am ashamed, I feel sorry for myself and I just can't seem to accept that this has happened to me. My close friends know of my deafness but I can never tell new ones or work colleges of my condition. I'm writing this post to find help. I want to be able to accept that I'm deaf and I want to be proud of it, after all it is who I am. If anyone can point me in some kind of direction as to were I can overcome this, it will be highly appreciated!  
Hi!
First of all I am proud of you that despite the limitations you are surging ahead in life. Since you can hear with help of an aid, you should consider yourself blessed. There are many who suffer from untreatable deafness. If you are finding it difficult to come to terms with it (and its very natural for anyone in your position to feel so), then probably some counseling and therapy will help you. Try this and you’ll be OK! Take care!
I certainly agree that even if you have your problems you still act like all normal people. It is true that having hearing aids is a blessing unlike people who can't afford just one. You can always seek the help of a therapist to help you in overcoming your fears and anxiety. If you look positive in life, then there's nothing possible.