Hearing Loss Community
Irritating electronic whining sounds

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Irritating electronic whining sounds

I am wondering if anyone can throw some light on a problem I am experiencing with some frequencies that appear to be emanating from either our plasma screen TV or the satellite receiver box we have at home (I'm not sure which).  It seems to be the cause of tinnitus and some deafness.  I suffer a constant loud whining in my ears which blends into the background during the day, but is very noticeable in bed at night.  I have recently had hearing tests which have identified a loss of hearing and that I may have sensitive hearing.  After a long period of time trying to work out the cause I have come to the conclusion that it must be from our TV or satellite box.  I draw this conclusion as the whining seems to resonate more and increases the longer period of time I watch TV, whilst, conversely, the symptoms reduced quite a lot when we went abroad for two weeks.  However, I am the only one experiencing this problem in our house.

Is there anyone who could help to identify the cause and perhaps suggest a solution?  I have tried protecting my ears using ordinary headphones but the frequencies seem to be pitched in such a way that they travel through physical barriers and in fact headphones just seem to make it worse.

I don't think I can go on much longer like this as I my hearing is getting worse and I am not able to completely hear what people are saying to me.  Up until about a year ago I had perfect hearing and could hear things a long way away and which direction sounds were coming from, now I am having some difficulty.
I cant help you really but I am just replying as I have exactly the same symptoms as you - ringing worse in bed and watching TV - hearing test showed loss of hearing - cant tell which direction sounds are coming from - blends into backgroung while busy with other things - I first noticed it when I got a new vacuum cleaner which made an unbearable high pitched whine and I thought that was the cause but I began to experience the noise sometimes when I was not vacuuming and now I have it permanently.   ENT says it is just tinnitus due to hearing loss and cannot be treated.
Same, but I havent had it diagnosed. actually, I went in for a hearing test a month ago and he said I had normal hearing... I 'THINK' its normal...

I can also hear CRT monitors and TV's. you shouldnt be able to hear a plasma TV though... does the noise go away when you turn it off?
A related discussion, Also Experiencing High Pitched Tones was started.