Hearing Loss Community
LOSS OF SMELL AND TASTE AFTER HAND SURGERY

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

I am a 52 year old CF patient who has diabetes and had a double lung transplant 10 years ago.  In July 2011 I had surgery to my left wrist for de quervains disease.  After the operation I noticed I could not smell or taste.  I  hampered my doctors and after three months they decided to send me for a CT scan.  It showed that I had chronic pansinusitus.  The ENT specialist said that he could operate but it could make my sinus worse.  I have never sufferered from sinus in my 52 years, except the loss of smell and taste after the hand surgery.  I finally had my sinus operation, they relieved the (puss) and also scraped my bone away and also took out some pollyps.  It has now been nearly 1 year since the operation and I cannot still smell or taste.  This is really getting me down, as I never appreciate eating, so am inclined to not eat sometimes which is not good for cystic fibrosis, as my weight is hard to keep on.  It is also very dangerous with being immunosuppressed that I could easily have food poisoning with spoilt food.  I am very careful with what I eat, but it is equally hard when you cannot smell and taste.

I need help, the doctors have just said I have to live with it......  Im sure they would think of something or do something if they could not smell or taste...

Please if you have any ideas, I would appreciate your input......
Hi and welcome to the Hearing Loss community!

I am so sorry you are going through this. If I understand you correctly, it sounds like this is more of an ENT question than hearing loss. Maybe try posting in the ENT forum. I wish I had an idea for you.

BC