Hearing Loss Community
MRI noise- damage hearing?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

MRI noise- damage hearing?

I had an MRI for my lower back yesterday. They gave me ear plugs but they weren't correctly fitted. When they did the MRI, the noise was very loud- it didn't cause pain in my ears but it was loud all the same. After it was done, I wasn't aware of any tinnitus but I'm worried about my ears. What are the chances that the MRI caused hearing loss?
Zero, I think.

There are better experts on this forum than me, but I think with the length of time you're in the MRI and the noise level, it couldn't cause hearing loss. Maybe if you were in it for hours every day.

Nancy T.
Chances....  Some where between slim to absolutley zero.
I think the chances of  getting prolonged tinnitus are there as in my case. I was not given earplugs at all. I wish to tear down that Philips 1.5 tesla monster to pieces.
Had an MRI 4 days ago. Earth shattering noise for 45 minutes, my ears are wrecked.
Everything sounds muffled and I can't hear outside the room I am in
They didnt offer any earplugs, even after I complained it was too loud.
And I have had several different MRIs in the past, but this one was WAY LOUDER than any before.
I don't know why. They have never bothered me in the past. This must be a new machine.
It was a breast MRI. I hope my hearing will come back and
I am very frightened. I called my Dr. to tell him but he just said he woukld look into it.
Probably worried for himself, huh?

ALWAYS USE EAR plugs FOR THESE THINGS. This MRI was a terrible nightmare! Like a jackhammer in my ears for 45 minutes straight. I hate the tech who did this to me and had an attitude and didn't offer me ear-plugs. She was so self righteous and obviously didn't care if she wrecked my ears!!!!
I'm sorry you went through that.  I tried to get an MRI yesterday and refused to contnue because of the sound.  The technician gave me ear plugs and padding around my ears but it was still too loud.  I was sure that I would suffer hearing loss if I continued.

The techician was not rude but everyone there acted as though they didn't think it was an issue.  they referred me to an "open" mri place.  she said it takes twice as long but is less loud.

Bottom line is that you know that it was too loud for you no matter what anyone else says.

I hope your hearing is back to normal.

Pam : - )
I had two MRI's last year on my shoulders and neck. The second one they couldn't position me right and I was getting spasams in my shoulder told me to hold still and I was under there for 11/2 hours. First time I went they did not give me ear plugs had to ask them for it. Few months after surgery on my shoulder I noticed hearing loss and humming and buzzing and ringing it hasn't stopped went to specialists but said they could do nothing about it. Tried everything and the MRI is what happened to me, don't let it happen to anyone. Not a way to live.....
I just had an MRI with well-fitting cheap earplugs, but the loud noise, even tho only for 15 minutes, concerned me about ear damage. Why don't they simply provide you with those headphone-like devices that people wear on a firing range?
I had an MRI just the other day, i am feeling discomfort in my right ear as a result. I had no idea the MRI would sound like a jack hammer, previous MRI's i have been to were quiet with in some case's the technician offered me headphones with music to make me relax...has anyone sought out legal advice in dealing with these monster machines?
Alexandrah can we get an update on your status?
I have a sound sensitivity that comes when talking on the phone after going through an MRI.  It makes my ears buzz worse than they do generally.  Also from the MRI or a virus that attacked my ears.  It's very disturbing.  LIke my ears feel swollen afterwards.  The ENT acts like he doesn't know what I'm talking about.  I found soundtherapy a program from perth Australia that uses music to reprogram the ear and it has helped people greatly with tinnitus and hyperaccusis.  check it out on Google.  I ordered it but haven't received it yet.  It's unfortunate that the Dr's are acting like they don't know what's going on.  So MRIs aren't the latest greatest thing.
I have had about 10 MRIs, and I am typically offered both ear plugs and over-ear headphones. Occasionally just the over-ear noise-canceling headphones. Any reputable place should be using over-ear hearing protection, preferably both in-ear and over-ear protection.

MRIs are very noisy--all of mine have been, anyway. Ask for hearing protection, and be ready to wait for them to get some, speak with the director, or go somewhere else (making sure they do not charge you or your insurance) if necessary. It's not worth losing your hearing.

BC
Wow, I'm so surprised to hear that MRIs can be a risk to your hearing. I know they're loud, but to me they never seemed dangerously loud. Thanks, BC.

I never had headphones offered, just regular earplugs or nothing. I didn't suffer any ill effects on my hearing, though.
The loudness depends on the protocol being used. I get a variety of scans while I am in the machine, and some are louder than others. I wonder if magnet strength affects loudness--never thought to look into that.

At any rate, hearing loss is cumulative, so if you already have some hearing damage (people may or may not be aware they have it), noise can send you over the edge into tinnitus or hearing loss. Sometimes you only have a temporary threshold shift, but who wants to risk it? Plus, repeated temporary threshold shifts can result in permanent damage. Just ask concert roadies, many of whom sustained serious hearing damage before the cause was recognized. And you know how performers wear earmolds to deliver sound to them during the performance? Those things also block out noise.

I don't think most people take this seriously. My generation (I'm 36) will be hard of hearing long before my parents' generation. Well, except my dad. He has single-sided deafness and some hearing loss in his good ear. Mumps and Navy!