Hearing Loss Community
Middle ear infection and hearing loss. Help?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Hi all, I'm a 25 year old female.

About a week ago I was having cold-like symptoms. You know, the onset headache and scratchy throat. I just started a new job as preschool teacher and children's center the week before so getting a cold would have put a major cramp in my style. After getting the beginning symptoms I ran out to the drugstore and bought ZiCam. Took it for about a day and a half and it really did nothing because by Friday afternoon I had a tremendous ear ache in right ear. The sore throat was gone but in return I felt like I was underwater. By Friday night I was in bed with mega pain I haven't felt in a long time. Finally as the pain increased, so did this constant "swooshing" in both ears, obviously fluid, and after a few hours the levy broke and the fluid started to drain from both ears.

At about 6am Saturday morning my dad convinced me to go to the ER. I was concerned that both ears were perforated but the doctor said they weren't, that it was just a case of otitis media and sent me on my way with a prescription of the ever famous Z-Pack.

I rested the weekend, took the antibiotic. Did nothing. On Monday I went in and saw my GP who said that I have a severe middle ear infection in both ears with pus drainage and also walking pneumonia. He prescribed me 2 weeks worth of Avelox. I took the first dose today and I can feel a "slight" change, my ears aren't draining nearly as much -- the right ear has pretty much stopped completely. However, my hearing is pretty much diminished. I can hear sounds but everything is extremely muffled and off. I can barely hear people talk to me. And there is a constant ringing and sometimes "roaring" in my ears.

My question is this, how long will it take for my hearing to come back to some sort of "normal"? Will the antibiotic help my hearing to return?
Hi!
Well, antibiotic should help dry up the secretions. Meanwhile ask your doctor whether you can do the valsalva maneuver. Sometimes Eustachian tube (tube connecting ear to throat) block can cause these pressure symptoms. If your doctor allows, try valsalva maneuver (take a deep breath and blow while pinching your nostrils shut and closing your mouth). This will help clear the secretions in the tube that connects the back of your throat with your ear. Doing this maneuver 2-3 times after taking steam gives the best result. Repeat this maneuver at least 5-6 times a day. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi! I was just wondering how your ears were doing? If your hearing is not back to normal by now see an ENT on an emergency basis. Sometimes you need to go on prednisone to cure it. You have a week to a month window to get it in enough time if you have the sudden hearing loss disease. Best wishes to you! Sandy