My Cochlear implant sounds muffled
I got a cochlear implant in march of 2012, I have lost my hearing from a disease called mitochondrial disease.
My right ear was implanted as it was the last to lose the hearing.
I am not sure if I am/was expecting too much with the implant.
I had no hearing for 6 months before getting my implant, before that wore hearing aids for 9 yrs.
Turn on was april 2012, had a few issues after that.
A stitch or something was bothering the incision, this was removed easily by the surgeon a couple months after turn on. However I continued feeling a pain and like a glass feeling in that area. There was a lump, this small lump was causing me so much pain. It I continued telling my clinic and finally I had my head sliced open again. I was told, the stitch used to hold the implant in place was sticking up like a fence post". It was removed, I had 7 stitched close that.
All healed well. Infection and pain is gone from that area.
I am now finding that I feel a tugging in my ear down my neck, and in another area i feel a nerve sensation pulling. Both feelings happen several times a day . The tugging in my ear i get when I turn my head or tilt it. It feels like I am maybe stretching something by turning my hear and it tugs the area.
When being mapped in the clinic all sounds wonderful.
I leave and as soon as I am out of the clinic, voices continue to sound muffled, hollow echo, distant, like I am in a tunnel. The tv is muffled so is the radio.
Sounds seem far away from me.
Is this all normal or what??
I have requested another appointment at the clinic, will be going there next week. I am just not sure what I should be hearing, or telling them so they can adjust me.
Any ideas??

Hi!
I am sorry to hear that you are facing so many problems with your cochlear implant. It is possible that the implant is not placed correctly and hence you feel the tugging sensation. You may be having internal ear infection which could be the cause of muffled sounds. Also ask your audiologist to set your implant correctly. You may also be having water in the external component. Please discuss with your treating specialist. Take care!