Hearing Loss Expert Forum
Question concerning hearing loss

Questions in the Hearing Loss expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Question concerning hearing loss

My oldest daughter she is 10 years old and for about 4 years she has a very difficult time hearing she has had all kinds of tests done to determine a cause for it.  Out of all of the tests the only one that shows anything is a standard hearing test and the structure of her right ear is a little abnormal.  She has explained it to me as feeling like a lot of pressure in her ears and sometimes when she swallows her ears "pop" and she can hear better. Driving down a steep hill puts pressure in my ears she loves it cause she can hear when they "pop" on some occasions her ears will ring then "pop" and its like someone turned the volume up. She does have hearing aides to wear but she is embarrassed to wear them.  So I'm hoping that by posting my question maybe someone can help.  Can someone help me understand what all the popping means and if anyone has any ideas on how to help?  I have noticed if she is sick mainly a head cold you basically have to scream at her for her to hear you and another thing I don't understand is why it would just start out of the blue when she was born her hearing test was perfect.
It sounds like your daughter has some Eustachian tube dysfunction.  

The Eustachian tube equalizes the pressure in the middle ear, and in children this tube is not fully positioned so it becomes easily blocked. This leads to the popping sounds (the pressure building and releasing) and also contributes to a build-up of fluid in the middle ear when she has a head cold.  The fluid causes hearing loss.  This may resolve as she gets older, but sometimes people have chronic Eustachian tube difficulties that require medical management.  

Has she been evaluated by an Ear, Nose and Throat physician?  There are certain medications and techniques that may assist her in treating this condition.

We recommend medical follow up with an ear specialist to determine the best course of action.
She had seen an ENT and they tell me she's fine which she's not because she can't hear.  We are currently trying the medication route I bought some OTC antihistamines.  I wanted to ask are having tubes placed in her ears an option. Another problem I've come across is finding someone who would actually listen to me and not blow it off as a "selective hearing child"  Thank you for your response!!