Hearing Loss Community
SSHL Pred dose?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

SSHL Pred dose?

Around 3/1 I noticed a severe decrease in hearing in my right ear, along with ringing and a muffled feeling.  Went to the ENT and I'm on 60 mg./day of Prednisone.  Returned to the ENT today and my hearing is worse.  Word recognition has declined, too.  He offered options of steriod injections in the eardrum or continued oral steriods for another two weeks.  Everything I read online says to take 60 mg. of pred for 14 days, then taper (I read somewhere five days at 50, 40, 30, 20, 10).  I told him I'd take the oral steriods, but now am questioning the benefit of continuing steriods and worried about adverse affects (I have high blood pressure and don't sleep well).  The doctor gave me Ambien to take while on Pred.  My pharmacist said BP is a concern with steriods.  I think I should taper the pred, and maybe go for the steriod injections.  

The doctor is scheduling a MRI and I had bloodwork done for a HSP 70 test (to rule out an auto ammune (immune) disease).  The lab told me it could be up to a month before those bloodwork results are back.  From what I've read online, it's hard to diagnose such an auto immune disorder with bloodwork.

Have most of you been on 14 days of pred (60 mg), or a continued course of the steriods?  It concerns me that my hearing is continuing to decline.  Is this unusual?

Thanks,

Kathleen
My doctor dislike predinsone, and prescribes Dexamethasone.  2mg 4 times a day.  He told ne to make no important decisions while I am on it.   %$#&^@%

How the heck do you maintain that?

I was on for 14 days then taper.  I was also put on low sodium, diuretic and ant-virals.

After seven weeks, I was much better, but then lost hearing this weekend.  Back on the steroids and it has helped, but am very frustrated.

This response is dated, but I would worry less about the side effects than you appear to.  But I am not a physician.
Correct that 4mg dode of Dexamethasone
I tested "trace positive" to the HSP 70 test, indicating an auto immune issue.  This terrifies me that I could lose hearing in the other ear.  I'll have my third steroid injection in my ear today.  I've noticed slight pains in my GOOD ear the past two days, which worries me.

KC
Hang in there.  Reading all these boards, things go up and down with the ears.  Stay positive.