Hearing Loss Community
SSHL recovery timeframe

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Viewing 201-243 comments:
i understand exactly.we have to patient .it takes 18 monhs for this to sort itself out i have head.
stem cell trial are working and they say it may be 5 to 10 years out.So there is that future .me Im old so will probably be too old for it
hang in there
So glad to find this forum and read your stories which are so similar to mine.  I had sudden, total hearing loss in my right ear while shopping on March 15, 2015.  The next morning I woke up with severe dizziness, nausea, terrible balance, throwing up, etc.  I also had complete loss of sensation from mid-cheek to behind my right ear.  Within 4 days, I was at the ENT, who prescribed Prednisone and started the steroid injections in my ear (had a total of 3). The feeling of sensation began to return after two weeks and is now normal.  The ability to hear some loud sounds has returned to my right ear but is so distorted I have to wear an ear plug in public because the noise is very disturbing.  I can hear the sound of a voice on the phone, not enough to have a conversation, but, again, the voices are very distorted.  The dizziness is gone and balance is much better, but not normal yet.  I have constant tinnitus in that ear but it's not as loud as it was (at first I heard constant loud clanging noises along with the buzzing noise, it was awful).  Sensitivity to sound in my good ear is much better.  After 3 months and with such distortion to the very few sounds I can hear, I'm very discouraged.  Has anyone else experienced the distortion problem?  I have another hearing test tomorrow.  My specialist did talk about gene therapy and said I'd be a perfect candidate but that is a few years out still.  Any encouraging words, anyone?
I forgot to add that for the 12 days leading up to the day I lost hearing in my right ear, I was under extreme stress and anxiety.  Also, for four months, I had the sound of water in that ear, especially first thing in the morning.  Three visits to my PC doctor and she kept telling me it would go away.  Did anyone else experience any of these things prior to losing hearing?
hi iam also experiencing ear deafness suddenly with vertigo and was given medicines betahestine ,gingko bilabo, nootropil and top nerve my deafness was 113 decibles now after 3 weeks it came to 78 decibles hope i recover soon
Did you experience any extra stress or anxiety during the few weeks before your sudden hearing loss, or could you hear "water" in your ear before this happened?  
I suffered a sudden hearing loss two days ago.  The ENT who can give injections is on vacation until day 9.  Should I find another doctor?
Yes---the sooner you start treatment, the better.  Treatment during the first two weeks is very, very important.  If you don't find a doctor who can do the injections now and your hearing ends up being permanently compromised, you would always wonder if it was the delay or not.  So, for your peace of mind, find one ASAP who will begin treatment. Best wishes to you that your hearing returns quickly.
I was only prescribed five days of 60 mg steroids and then three days of 40 mg, thee days of 20 mg and three days of 10 mg.  from. All my reading, this does not seem like a long enough course of steroids.  I've seen 14 days of 60 recommended.  Has anyone else taken such a light dose?
I don't remember what the mg's were, but I was prescribed 6/day for 6 days, 5/day for 5 days, 4/day for 4 days, etc., until they were all gone--last day was 1/2 tablet.
Just wondering if you have recovered any hearing.  If you read up a couple of posts, you'll see my story.  I, too, can "hear" tones in my bad ear now if they are very close but I can't tell if they are voices, same as you.  Has that improved for you?  I lost my hearing in my right ear on March 15, 2015.
no i have not received any water just i had a bath on may 29 and felt my ear was numb with fullness then went to ENT he said due to blood pressure nerve has been damaged and my blood pressure is 140/90 and i went another ENT he made all tests like CT scan of brain and PNS then report was normal but only indicated tiny calcification in cisterna magna possibly vascular calcification then again he said to go for MRI brain it was normal now they say again to do MRI for inner ear ,i am frustrated lots of money gone and stress please some one pray for my recovery i belong to poor family.
This is just an update.  You can see my post of Mid-Dec. 2014 in which I had SSHL during the night with no other symptoms of any kind. I had immediate treatment from an ENT that day of the usual protocol of corticosteroids both in pills and through the ear drum. I also had an MRI of the brain and ear canal which was negative.  Unfortunately as of mid Aug. 2015, there has been no improvement in my hearing. I am providing a site which I found useful in that it provided information on the type of testing you can expect after suffering SSHL.          http://otosurgery.org/2008_NEJM_RAUCH_SSNHL.pdf
I had hearing loss as well. It actually happened while i was using my cell phone. The noise in my ear sounded like and engine turbine like i was sitting on the wing of a 747. Then after hearing that for two hours it stopped and went to a hissing sound and i completely lost my hearing in my left ear. My ENT was hesitant to give me a steroid injection and urged me to wait another day to see what happens. When I went to work the next day I was working at my desk and as i got up to answer the phone I felt dizzy and had an attack of vertigo. Then I couldn't move without throwing up for two hours. I couldn't drive and I went immediately to the ENT whereupon he gave me the injection into my ear. And then started me on a a steroid pack. However I believe I was too late with the injection and since then i had another injection at the University of Pennsylvania along with another pack of steroids two weeks later. None of this has worked and I lost 60 deciblels of hearing. Had an MRI, a CAT scan and several hearing tests as well as a test for Meniers. I've been to two specialists and one general ENT and they all have diagnosed it as idiopathic hearing loss. They mostly sway toward it being of viral origin. That was in April of 2013 and I still hear hissing and I'm deaf in my left ear still. However comforting it is, I enjoy sharing my story and reading yours. Good luck to everyone.
Hi Barena, I'm sorry for your hearing loss.  Are you completely deaf, then?  Mine was also assumed to be viral in cause.  Do you remember if you had a particularly stressful event in the days or weeks before you lost your hearing?  I did.  I went completely deaf in my right ear on 3/15/15 and also lost all sense of feeling around my ear, which has since returned.  The next day, I was terribly dizzy and threw up for hours, as you did.  I had 3 injections in my ear, plus oral steroid that first weeks.  About a month after it happened, I began to regain a tiny bit of hearing but there is so much distortion that it isn't what I'd call useful hearing.  The distortion makes things sound very high pitched and tinny.  The further away the sound is, the more distortion there is.  I also have constant tinnitus (buzzing) in that ear.  I went to two doctors and found there isn't really very much they can do about SSHL.  I'm hoping the distortion heals because I think a hearing aid would then work to help enhance the small amount of hearing I do have.  I'm still having balance problems, although not nearly as bad as the first few weeks.  I lose my balance very easily now.  Thank you for sharing your story.
thank you so much for your history and findings.  How long does it take for you to recover completely? I mean till 95% recovery?
I did high dose prednisone and ginko, NAC, vitamin E and C and antivirals had a lot of improvement in speech comprehension but still can't understand people.  I haven't tried aldosterone, but I can only get florineff right now which seems like it might increase aldosterone.  
I was prescribed long courses of antibiotics for asthma (quackery) and an infection and accidentally took too many antibiotics and lost my hearing immediately after.  now I'm horrifically crippled and handicapped and don't know if I can even work
Mikecee,

Did you recovery from your SSHL?  I am dealing with exact same thing.  Had this for over a week now and been doing the 60mg Prednisone and hearing is starting to come back after almost two weeks, but high frequency sounds are distorted, plus constant ringing.  Had two inner ear injections as well.  Hoping to beat this but extremely frustrating.  Hard to concentrate on phone calls.

Thanks, BrianB
are the injections safe?  I heard of one patient who went deaf and had permanent dizziness/balance damage because of tympanic injections

I started taking insulin because of the high dose prednisone and brain fog, I don't know if it is safe to do that
I also had this terrible machine sound or distortion in my right ear.  I took the high dose prednisone for a month and regained some speech comprehension but not 100%.  

I've heard that aldosterone helps.  can florinef, kortinefff be a substitute for that?
btw what is the difficulty concentrating?  I noticed this too, is this some sort of brain damage?  it's kind of distressing to me.  

I wouldn't go with Cochlear since this completely destroys the middle ear and I have a friend who is extremely unhappy and damaged by the implants.  
I'm not sure it seems like you are just rolling the dice with intertympanic injections?  I've heard of one patient who after injections went completely deaf and had permanent dizziness/balance damage
Avatar n tn
May I ask how bad your hearing loss was to begin with? Did you have audiometry taken initially?
Thanks in advance :)
Avatar n tn
How is the hearing going Brian? Did it come back?
Avatar n tn
How is your hearing now? Did it come back at all?
Avatar n tn
How did you go with the injections? Did you regain any hearing?
I was driving to work on October 14, 2015 and I heard what I though was an accident - a very LOUD boom.  Later that afternoon, I noticed my ears were still ringing and my left ear felt full (like I just got off an airplane).  I tried using a nasal spray for 2 days.  Nothing.  Went to general practice doctor on October 17, 2015 and was told I had fluid in my Eustachian tube, prescribed Nasonex and told to take Sudafed; if not better in a few days to follow up with an ENT.  Later that night I lost all hearing in my left ear.  First thing Monday morning, October 19, 2015, I made an appt with ENT as my sense of balance was so off and all the while I have a non-weight bearing cast on my left foot (broken 5th metatarsal bone) making things especially difficult.  I just figured I'd have the ear drained and be done with it.  That's when the ENT said I have Sudden Sensory Hearing Loss.  100% deaf in my left ear.  I had my first prednisone injection in my inner ear and started on 60 mg oral prednisone for 10 days and then step down every 3 days for the next 10 days (6/3/2/1).  After my second injection on October 26, 2015, I could actually hear words - faint words, but words.  I had my 3rd and final injection on November 2, 2015.  I am just today finishing up my last prednisone pill.  So I have been optimistic as my hearing seems to be coming back, even though the ringing is constant and does not subside I have just adjusted to it.  However....today I feel again as if my head is full and my hearing is squawky/tinny.  Has anyone experienced a set back like this?  Thanks for reading and for all the other posts.  I feel like no one around me understands what I'm going through...how devastating this is.
I can understand how devastating SSHL can be.  I, too, completely lost all hearing in my right ear on March 15, 2015, as well as the feeling on that side of my face and my balance.  I have had a slight return of hearing, mostly I can hear words if they are spoken really loud, but I have distorted hearing. Things always sound high and shrill and tinny.  I also had 3 shots, plus oral steroids and after 3 weeks heard very faint shrill sounds in that ear, with continued improvement over the next 3 months.  I am hoping to be cleared to get a hearing aid in the next month by my ENT, if my hearing has remained stable enough.  I did not have any fluctuations in hearing once it began to return, so I hope your hearing has returned again since writing your post above.  Did you have a particularly stressful event or time right before your hearing loss?  I did and have always wondered if that's what caused it.
Please need help!!! SSNHL is occuring for the second time, last time I lost 70 % of my hearing please help!!!!!
Avatar n tn
Go and see an ENT immediately and insist on high dose prednisone!!! Is it happening in same ear as before?
Avatar n tn
How long has it been between last time it happened and now?
Its been about nine months, I went to see my ENT, but he said he didnt see any sign of infections, both ears, painful as heck, then this morning my hearing dropped, last time I just woke up an it was gone, Im freaking out
Avatar n tn
Thanks for the update Emma, it's comforting to know you're dealing with things and life has returned to normal for you. I can only hope that I too can get to the same point mentally. It currently feels like my world has collapsed.
Avatar n tn
How many weeks in did you start to see the improvement? How bad was your loss? Was it profound?
Avatar n tn
Did they do audiology to test your hearing? This will tell if it's conductive loss (best to have) or sensoneural (Ssnhl) if it is this you need prednisone and high dose ASAP!!!
Avatar n tn
Ssnhl is very rare to have in both ears, I would be seeing a different ENT and discussing other causes such as meniers disease or autoimmune disease (both can be managed with steroids/diet)
I have a question about continuing with 60mg/10 day course prednisone after the 4th week of onset of SSHL in right ear?

I was prescribed a methylprednisolone dose pack by an ER Doctor 3 1/2 days after my right ear suddenly felt full of liquid with 80% diminished hearing (the usual story). Unfortunately the condition didn't improve. Also when I went to follow up with my primary care provider at the VA she misdiagnosed the problem as liquid behind the ear drum, and subsequently only gave me some antibiotics. Not knowing better I went away thinking I'd be okay (because it did feel like liquid was in my ears).

I had a hearing test done last Tuesday Dec 1st and it showed medium to severe hearing loss because of nerve damage.

That's the long and short of it. I'm scheduled for an MRI next week. After that I should have follow up with an ENT. So to my question is it worthwhile for me to continue using a steroids at this point?

I should add that I didn't have any issues with the first course of steroids, but like I say there really wasn't any improvement. I'm in my mid-50's and am otherwise healthy. Also I'm taking all the nutrients I've seen that were recommended on this forum.
I had this happen7 yrs. ago, saw Head of Emory Ent within the week, had profound hearing loss in left ear. Had steroid TM injections, MRI with no etiology found. No other symptoms other than the severe noises in the head, ringing, clicking, zapping, you name it, plus feeling of having a vacuum in my head sucking air in. I never recovered one bit of hearing but after about a year, your body does adjust to the tinnitus and you can function relatively normal. Being in a crowd and trying to hold a conversation is very difficult and if someone calls your name or you don't know where your cell phone is and it rings, you're like a deer in the headlights. You cannot distinguish where the sound is coming from. Also, sitting at a table with people on both sides of you means you may as well tell
the person on your "bad side" that you are deaf in that ear. After 7 yrs. I catch myself doing what I swore I would never do and that is just smile and nod, pretending you know what is being said but short of wearing a sign around your neck, sometimes I just do the easiest, briefest encounter I can get by with. These issues do tend to make you a little anti-social  but you just adapt to your surroundings as best you can. I still play the piano at church but avoid concerts or events with very loud noises or music to try to protect my remaining good ear. I first prayed to get my hearing back but my prayer now is that I don't lose my other ear!
My story... went to bed on April 10th 2015 fine and health.  i am 30 years old and male, woke up with very severe vertigo, blocked right ear, couldn't hear anything.  I knew something was not right and thought about calling my ent but it was the weekend so I went to a NP at a walgreens clinic.  I told her i never had any ear problems my whole life or infections.  She looked at my ear and said it was an infection and gave me a zpac even though I told her all my symptoms.  then i took the medicationa didn't help for 4 days and then i called my GP who said it was crystals in my ear and to do some maneuvers, didn't help so then i went to emergency room about a week after it happended and they said to call my ent immediately.  So 10 days after onset and after misdiagnosed several times i finally go into the ent who diagnosed it is ssnhl and gave me heavy steroids for 2 weeks and made me get an mri before i could get injections.  So i came back after the steroids with a 10 dcb increase which was goood and they did the injections about 3 weeks after onset.  Injections didn't help so he then recommended cochlear implant which is ridiculous since i still have full hearing in my other ear.  I then went to a different ENT because i thought he was crazy for recommending a cochlear implant.  The other ent was much better and did 2 more injections over 2 weeks with no improvement.  So now 9 months later i went for another screening and no improvement.  I now have moderate hearing loss 45 - 55 dcb in my right ear with no speech recognition.  The vertigo subsided after 2 weeks after initial onset because your brain copes and stops taking signals from the bad ear.  Worst part is tinnitus, i can live with hearing loss because i have a good ear, but tinnitus is horrible.  Going to look into getting a hearing aid in a few weeks that will have a tinnitus masker.  Will be $1200 USD, but well worth it if it masks the tinnitus.  Good luck to you all, It's definately life changing for the bad and good.  Helps put things into perspective and to not sweat the little things in life like work.  Really not sure if anything would have helped even if i would have go into the doctor right away because of the intense vertigo and profound hearing loss, but don't ever trust a Nurse or GP with ear nose or throat problems, lesson learned, would have been better off just googling my symptons and going from there.  Walgreens NP what a joke.
Hi.  My name is George.  I'm a 48 y/o man from Houston.  My story with SSHL began around last Thursday (3/3/16) or Friday (3/4/16) of last week.  Ironically, my 7 year old son was born with EVA and is deaf in his left ear.  His has no chance or recovery due to the fact that he was born absent an auditory nerve.  He has been my hero through all of this.  I remember late last week that my hearing was being compromised.  It wasn't as if it just all went out.  I thought I had a cold or something minor.  By the weekend it was bothering me enough to google, "busted ear drum".  By Monday of this week I made an appointment with an ENT from Tuesday morning.  I remember being loosey-goosey in the waiting room as I did not believe I had anything majorly wrong with me.  I was telling the doctor about my weekend and all and he checks my left ear and says, "All clear".  I remember a wave of anxiety suddenly run from my head to my toes.  It was then that I knew something was really wrong.  They took me in the back to go visit the Audiologist.  She measured me for fluid in my ears.  I felt better thinking that perhaps this is the issue.  This was not the issue.  I returned to the doctor after the hearing test and he told me about SSHL and about a virus of the Cochlea.  I was heading in to work that day but could not make it in from the shear anxiety I felt.  I started the steroids immediately. (20 mg X3) every morning.  Today is day 4 of being on steroids.  As I am reading y'alls comments I can certainly empathize with each and every one of you.  I think the thing that helps me is knowing that Cochlear implants are a possibility.  And if its not, please do not tell me this, I'd rather live in an ignorance is bliss moment right now :)
So, for me it bothers me the least when I put my mind on other things.  The other day I was involved in something with my job and I was concentrating deeply for about 2 hours.  And I realized when I finished that I hadn't thought about the hearing loss one time.  Keep your mind occupied.  I feel like gravity MAY have something to do with this.  For example, my best times are first thing when I wake up in the morning.  I almost get excited because I don't hear the flowing water noise, I don't hear ringing, I don't hear weird high-pitched random tones.  But I still cannot hear out of it.  Everything else comes back after about 10 minutes of being up and vertical.  Anyone else notice this?  My least favorite times are going to sleep at night.  When I lay my head on the pillow, I had nothing to do but lay there and listen to the odd sounds going off in my head.  OK this will be hard to explain but I'll give it a try.  Remember when you were a kid and you started to fall asleep?  Do you remember those few moments of dozing off and you might hear a sound in your head, (hard to describe the sound) like an instant of a rushing noise before you fell asleep?  Well, I feel like right as I'm about to fall asleep that same noise is now amplified in my ear.  It's like they are connected or something.  Anyhow, my prayers for everyone hear.  Please pray that God heals my little boy one day.  Thank you.
Hi again.  I just wanted to give you all an update.  I have encouraging news and I know for many of you who have just found out that you may have this, you are looking for anything.  I plan on writing down this entire experience because it has been the scariest thing I've ever dealt with in with life.  And the scariest part for me was not the things I could not hear, but rather the continuous sounds going off in my head at a volume 10.  It is maddening.  I will say that those sounds DID subside after about a week. Please hang in there.

My encouraging news: After being on oral steroids for a week, I had my first steroid injection into the Cochlea.  THAT NIGHT something opened up for me.  I'm not suggesting it will work so fast for you, but SOMETHING happened.  Whereas before I could not hear my finger scratch the inside of my ear, that night I scratched the inside and herd it ever so slightly.  The next morning I actually had a telephone conversation using my infected ear.  I would say I went from zero percent hearing to maybe 20 percent now.

Again, I will record all of this for the benefit of anyone going through it.  My words of advice, get to an ENT as soon as possible!  The sooner you start treatment the greater your chances!
Hi. I'm a 26 year old woman, who experienced severe sensory-neural hearing loss about a year ago. I got home from work around 6 and heard a faint ringing, in the background, but couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from. I checked everything and everywhere; microwave, gas stove, cell phone, TV, stereo - I just could not locate the sound. Maybe 10 minutes later my right ear went blank. My head got super heavy and congested, equilibrium thrown off to the point of falling over if I looked up or down, and my tinnitus set in at an excruciating level. After hoping it was just something that would fix itself, I tried to tough it out, but I couldn't fall asleep, and it was scaring me enough that I had my dad drive my to the ER around 1:30 in the early morning. The doctor did his ear checks and found nothing blocking or damaged so he prescribed me a nasal spray to clear out my sinuses, which I used for I believe 5 days. Nothing had changed by that point, so I saw my normal physician, who then referred me to an Audiologist. I called and made the soonest appointment they had. I called the day of my appointment to confirm my time and with a calendar glitch, my appointment wasn't for a month. This had been around 3 weeks since my visit to the ER, and I knew the importance of getting this done in a time frame, so I pushed for an opening and got one, but 50 miles away. And am I glad I did, after a few discouraging tears with my hearing test, I was found to have profound hearing loss, and she said it was a good thing I came when I did and if I could wait a few hours, there would be and ENT doctor available to see me. The doctor did her tests, sent me for an MRI, and blood test to rule out deficiencies and tumors and also prescribed me a high dose of steroids for the next 3 weeks. All tests came back normal, and after the 3 weeks, I went back for my hearing test. It had then improved a smidgen, to moderate to sever hearing loss. My tinnitus by then was not improved, but something I was getting more used to. I now know the things that make it worse; Ibuprofen, alcohol, caffeine. But let's be real. I am 26. I love wine, and live in the city where Starbucks was founded, so these things happen and I suffer through it. I went in for my a little over a year hearing test update and all things tested the same. If I could advise anyone, it's be proactive early on. I was embarrassed by this, and really didn't do anything to help myself except cut out all aggravators, not listen to music or TV, sit in absolute silence with ear plugs and not see anyone for nearly 4 months. I was terrified of it getting worse or spreading to my other ear, all irrational, but I wish I had of asked more questions and done more things to help myself come to peace earlier on. Now that I have found myself more at peace with this, I'm able to ask questions, maybe a little too late but am finally able to grieve my right ear, but be thankful for my left and treat it like my fragile child. Tinnitus is still front and forward in my life, but, it is what it is. All that being said, supplements may not do what you want them to, but they can give you hope; which is really what you need. If it's early on, less than a month, do what you can and see more than one person. The sooner the better. Natural path, physician, whoever you can, just do what you can. Keep it positivity and try not to overload on things that may hurt your body more than help.
I wanted to leave yet another update.  Today is March 24, 2016.  It was literally three weeks ago today that I first noticed something not right with my hearing.  After taking the steroids (2 more days of oral to go) and 2 injections, I can happily say my hearing is back to normal.  You are all on my heart and I pray for those who are still going through this.  I pray for a speedy recovery.
Hey everyone. I'm 21 years old from Singapore. On 14th April 2016, I was at work when I couldn't hear anything from my right ear all of a sudden. At first, I thought it was just a blockage and I went to see the GP  doctor the next day. He gave me antibiotics and refer me to see a ENT specialist in a month time. But after a few days when my ear didn't improve, I went to book a slot to see the specialist on the spot. I was diagnosed with SSHL and I broke down in front of the specialist immediately.
I'm currently on oral steroids for 2 weeks. Went for MRI scan and blood tests. From what I been reading, gingko and zinc seems to help with SSHL. May I know the dosage that you guys take?
You guys gave me a lot of motivation after I found out about it. Thank you so much.
I like you guys have been dealing with a deaf ear since a virus 6 weeks ago. Had the steroid shots and slight improvement but now it is Noisey without understanding the noise. Actually it was better before the injections. That said is there a stein for people who have tried the wireless AIDS vs. the Baha?  I love music festivals and concerts and cannot find any info on which would be better for music or neither would be work?  Any input would be great
Anyone who needs to discuss their experience with SSHL please feel free to email me. I am three years out was a 31 when it occured, hearing has not returned. But everything else will, and you might gain some positives from the experience. As scary as it is, the biggest healer is time. Tinnitus will fade, balance will return, and normal will happen. ***@****
Hi Yuki.  I am very sorry I am just now responding to your message.  I too took Ginkgo Biloba when I was going through SSHL.  I took 240 mg per day.  Since my hearing came back, I have not taken it as regularly.  The ringing left and sometimes I just forget to take it.  Please email me with any other questions!
Hi Randy.  I don't really have any valuable input.  I just wanted to say hang in there.  Perhaps a second injection will prove to be the one that makes it all better.  For me, after my first injection, things got better.  Then before the second injection, I was at around 80 % healed.  The second injection got me back to 100%.  Good thoughts your way.
You are a true hero.
Viewing 201-243 comments: