Hearing Loss Community
Sudden bilateral hearing loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Sudden bilateral hearing loss

I am 58 and developed sudden bilateral hearing loss on March 3rd. I have suffered on and off for years with tinnitus. I went to an ENT who noticed that a medication i was prescribed actually could induce tinnitus - it has subsided. However the hearing loss after massive doses of predisone has not helped - my ears occasionally pop and i can hear for brief moments. I have not had an MRI yet but is pending. I am just wondering if anyone has gone through this? Are there any suggestions? I am scared

Hi steve! Gosh, you got the double whammy with both ears which they say is fairly rare. I've had tinnitus most my life, too, and I don't know if that plays into the SSHL or not. My ENT told me that the chances of recovery is better if you are not totally deaf from it and you got to the doctor's office within the 4-6 week window, so it sounds favorable for you. He also said they've had people get their hearing back sometimes after several procedures, like the massive prednisone pills 1st, and then the steroid ear injection. Also, medications that prove to be toxic to the ears that produce the SSHL can make your hearing a little stubborn to come back and may need several med procedures, but it should come back fully if it does. Let us know how things go. And the best to you!