Hearing Loss Expert Forum
Sudden loss an return of hearing like on/off switch

Questions in the Hearing Loss expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew what can cause My hearing to go away and come back as if an on/o0ff switch? for a few years now I have had what i can hear as an 'eeeeeeeeeee'  (long e sound) in my left ear several times a day, cant say if everyday but enough times throughout the week. There have been a few times when I have felt some pain,small amount but something, when they occur. Maybe for a couple of years now I feel it has progressed. It's as if you were in a concert and you're hearing fine then when you exit it's like a deafening silence after a couple of seconds you can hear again. Like you are hearing fine then suddenly sound is turned off (deafening silence) like a switch, couple of seconds later sound is turned back on. I am 36 yrs old. What is causing this? And also, if whatever is causing this can also affect your vision. Just to see if there is some connection for I have also posted about another problem I have with my vision in another forum. Thank you for any help you may give me.
Hello, Thank you for using this forum.  Have you had a hearing evaluation or seen an Audiologist for this problem?  That is definitely the first place you need to start....seek out an Audiologist for a diagnostic hearing evaluation.  There is a lot of information that comes from that hearing evaluation and without knowing that, it is very hard to even start to find an answer for you.
I can tell you that the "eeeeeee" that you  hear is called Tinnitus and is very common.  There are many afflictions that can cause tinnitus- ear afflictions are just one of many causes of tinnitus which is why you should start with a complete diagnostic hearing evaluation.

Thank you,

Rachele M. Orsini, Au.D.
Thank you! I will do so immediately.