Hearing Loss Expert Forum
Tinninis

Questions in the Hearing Loss expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Tinninis

I have had tenninissince 1992 and the ringing in both ears seems to be louder. I have seen ear speciaists and they tell me nothing can be done. Are there any new treatments for tenninus that makes the noise level tolerable or make them go away altogether?
This is a very common question.  You were told correctly that there are no real proven treatments to completely eliminate tinnitus however there are several types of treatments that are out there that may help you manage it or even mask it.

Some of the tinnitus management treatments include:
■Biofeedback
■Hypnosis
■Electrical stimulation
■Relaxation therapy
■Counseling
■Habituation therapies
■Tinnitus maskers
■Sound machines

More importantly, you should have your hearing evaluated by an Audiologist because tinnitus is often the first sign of hearing loss.

The use of hearing aids has been proven to relieve the tinnitus and also improve your hearing at the same time. In fact, the new Siemens products have built in tinnitus maskers.  

There is an abundance of information about tinnitus on the web.  There is even an association dedicated to it called the American Tinnitus Association (ATA).  You can visit their website at www.ata.org and explore the treatment options I have discussed.

I hope this answer was helpful.  You can visit www.hearusa.com to find a certified licensed hearing care provider to evaluate your hearing and further discuss your tinnitus management options as well.

Thank you,

Rachele M. Orsini, Au.D.