Hearing Loss Community
Tubes In My Ears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Tubes In My Ears

I am 39 years old and I have had tubes in my ears for over 10 years. I have tried three different types. They have all worked wonderful and I couldn't live without them. Since I have suffered severe hearing loss since a child, I have also gotten hearing aids a year and a half ago.  For about a year now, my ears seem to be rejecting the tubes. I have a tube come out at least once a month.  I am on Allegra and I also take a decongestant in the morning and at night. I need to find out how to keep the tubes in my ears. I am beginning to wonder if the tubes are coming out (they fall out of my ear and also push back into my ear) due to me clenching my jaw at night--I just picked up a jaw mold to help me keep from clenching. When my tubes come out, I get violently ill. Nauseated, headaches, dizzy, basically can't function. Has anyone dealt with this and does anyone know what I can do about this?
Tags: Ear, tube, hearing, help me, dizzy
I can't imagine that jaw clenching could contribute to this and I don't think that there is anything that you, personally, can do to prevent this.  They need to figure out what kind of tube will stay in your drum and put it in there.  There are many different kinds and some are designed to never come out unless surgically removed.
I have what they call a collar button tube in both my ears. They are supposed to stay in 1-2 years. I have had many tubes over the years as I'm 36 years old and  they all fell out within 6 months. Research the diffrent kinds and see what your ENT thinks is right for you. Good luck.
Hi and welcome to the Hearing Loss community!

What type of earmold do you have for your hearing aids? Is it blocking off pretty much all of your ear canal?

The purpose of the tubes is to let your middle ear "breathe." An earmold blocking off your ear canal would prevent that from happening. If stuff is accumulating in your middle ear, it could push out the tubes.

Just a thought.

BC