Hearing Loss Expert Forum
What Options are Available for Hearing Loss?

Questions in the Hearing Loss expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

For the past 2 years I have been losing my hearing.  I am 73 years old and find it harder and harder to hear conversations, TV and even music, especially if there is background noise or distraction.  What options are available for hearing loss?  Is it only a hearing aid?   Thanks.

Hello, Thank you for this question.  Your symptoms sound like you are starting to encounter high frequency hearing loss which effects our speech understanding and makes it harder to hear in the presence of noise.

The first step is to have a hearing evaluation.  You can easily find a provider by visiting our website www.hearusa.com

When you go for a hearing evaluation, the Audiologist is able to determine if your hearing loss is sensorineural (aka, nerve damage) or if you have a medical problem that could be corrected or treated by an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist.

If you have sensorineural hearing loss, then yes, hearing aids & assistivie devices are your only option to improve your overall ability to hear and communicate.

The great news is that research has proven time and time again that hearing aids really do work in patients with this type of hearing loss and they do improve your overall quality of life.  They have also improved hearing aids to be more precise, discreet and comfortable with a wide variety of options for individual needs.

By far, the most important factor is finding a qualified, licensed provider.  The provider is just as important as the hearing aid device themselves.  I wll once again direct you to our website to find a qualified, licensed provider in your area www.hearusa.com

Thank you,

Rachele M. Orsini, Au.D.
Doctor of Audiology