Hearing Loss Community
Whiplash Injury and Hearing loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Whiplash Injury and Hearing loss

I was involved in a car accident recently and sustained injury to c3/4 and have also noticed hearing loss in my right ear.
My audilogogy report states that "acoustic reflexes are abscent in both ears and that there is moderate to severe hearing loss in the right ear.

Prior to this accident I did have injury to C5/6/7 this was from a motor car accident in 1982.

How could this recent accident cause me to loose hearing in one ear?

Thanks.
Tags: Neck, hearing
Acoustic reflexes are a rather mundane way to verify a hearing loss. I would not place a lot of diagnostic value on that.

Now regarding whip lash....  I am thinking more on the lines of an Air Bag. I am just guessing an air bag was deployed, if so, they reach 170dB, a one time exposure of that level is strong enough to cause hearing damage.  But that is just my take on it.

Now back to whip lash...  if the brain is juggled around in the skull, anything can happen. But there are many diagnostic tests that are objective and they can determine the type & severity of a hearing loss. Even the "shape" of the hearing loss can help to determine what the root cause of the hearing loss was.  I tell you this in case you are seeking payment for damages.