background's louder than the foreground
If I'm in a crowd situation, like a noisy pub, everyone else can talk to each other ok but I can't, I hear the background noise far louder than I hear the foreground chatter. Even if someone is standing in front of me talking to me I can't hear them over the background hubbub. Everyone else seems fine, I watch them talk to each other against what to me is an almighty din and they converse happily. I'm 56, and I've always been like this. I'm wondering what this is called and what I could do about it.

BB
It is called "upward spead of masking"

Meaning the low frequencies mask over higher frequencies which happens to be the "speech frequencies" and without even testing you I would wager you have a high frequency hearing loss, due to your complaints and age.

Get your self tested

AuD ccc-a
Thanks, what can be done about it? I've always been this way, but it does seem to be getting worse.

BB
You will not like the answer, so go get tested....  if anything you will get a base line of what your hearing status is.

Hearing tests done for the purpose of "hearing evaluations" and not for hearing aid selection etc. should be covered by your insurance.

But be sure to have an ENT order the test, other wise you may have to pay out of pocket.
Ah, I'm in the UK, so it should be free I'd think.

BB