Hearing Loss Community
background's louder than the foreground
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

background's louder than the foreground

If I'm in a crowd situation, like a noisy pub, everyone else can talk to each other ok but I can't, I hear the background noise far louder than I hear the foreground chatter. Even if someone is standing in front of me talking to me I can't hear them over the background hubbub. Everyone else seems fine, I watch them talk to each other against what to me is an almighty din and they converse happily. I'm 56, and I've always been like this. I'm wondering what this is called and what I could do about it.

BB
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
It is called "upward spead of masking"

Meaning the low frequencies mask over higher frequencies which happens to be the "speech frequencies" and without even testing you I would wager you have a high frequency hearing loss, due to your complaints and age.

Get your self tested

AuD ccc-a
Blank
Thanks, what can be done about it? I've always been this way, but it does seem to be getting worse.

BB
Blank
You will not like the answer, so go get tested....  if anything you will get a base line of what your hearing status is.

Hearing tests done for the purpose of "hearing evaluations" and not for hearing aid selection etc. should be covered by your insurance.

But be sure to have an ENT order the test, other wise you may have to pay out of pocket.
Blank
Ah, I'm in the UK, so it should be free I'd think.

BB
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hearing Loss Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank