Hearing Loss Community
can hdrocortisone otic drops damage the ear of my 21 months old baby?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

my son have perforated eardrum and his doctor gave him hydrocortisone eardrops and have to use it for 10 days 2x a day.though i see it helps alot to my child coz he`s not feeling pain i`m just worried  a lot coz i read its not allowed to use if you have perforated eardrum.i ask his doctor and he said nothing to worry it is use to safe.i`ve been using it now for 6 days,shall i continue untill 10 days or shall i stop now..please enlighten me about this...im worried it might damage the hearing of my child....thanks!
Tags: drop, damage
Hi and welcome to the hearing loss forum!

You should continue to give your baby the drops. Stopping early could make the infection worse.

Did the doctor look in the baby's ear? If so, a perforation would have been obvious. Sorry to get gross and graphic, but the fluid/pus would have been leaking out into the ear canal. Any decent doctor would notice that.

I hope that helps you feel better about it. Glad your baby is doing better! Take care.
yes..the doctor know that my son has perforated eardrum coz he check it but still he gave this hydrocortisone otic drops...i just hope it wont damage the hearing of my baby...thank u for answering my question...god bless!