Hearing Loss Community
church Bells, hearing loss?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

church Bells, hearing loss?

I live about 100 meters from the main church in a small city in Italy. The bells are quite loud and ring about every hour, and then they also ring like crazy on saturday at 12 and sunday. I am starting to worry that the noise from these bells could cause hearing loss. I am 35 years old. In the future, I will have a baby and I am owrried about the possible damage to growing ears. Any input possible about residual noise from churchbells would be very appreciated. and hten, the question of what to do. If I cloes the windows, it is muffled, but in the summer that is difficult.

Thank you.
Hi and welcome to the hearing loss forum!

Noise certainly can cause hearing loss. It is hard to say anything specific about your situation, since I do not know exactly how loud the bells are.

I can tell you that if you are exposed to 90 dB of noise for eight hours a day, you will likely develop hearing loss.  90 dB is about as loud as a lawnmower. This webpage has more info: http://american-hearing.org/disorders/noise-induced-hearing-loss/#duration

I hope that helps. I wonder if the bells are as loud as 90 dB by the time they reach you. And I wonder if you can ever sleep in, with them sounding off regularly!

Take care,

BC