Aa
A
A
Close
church Bells, hearing loss?
Hello,

I live about 100 meters from the main church in a small city in Italy. The bells are quite loud and ring about every hour, and then they also ring like crazy on saturday at 12 and sunday. I am starting to worry that the noise from these bells could cause hearing loss. I am 35 years old. In the future, I will have a baby and I am owrried about the possible damage to growing ears. Any input possible about residual noise from churchbells would be very appreciated. and hten, the question of what to do. If I cloes the windows, it is muffled, but in the summer that is difficult.

Thank you.
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1740498_tn?1328966185
Hi and welcome to the hearing loss forum!

Noise certainly can cause hearing loss. It is hard to say anything specific about your situation, since I do not know exactly how loud the bells are.

I can tell you that if you are exposed to 90 dB of noise for eight hours a day, you will likely develop hearing loss.  90 dB is about as loud as a lawnmower. This webpage has more info: http://american-hearing.org/disorders/noise-induced-hearing-loss/#duration

I hope that helps. I wonder if the bells are as loud as 90 dB by the time they reach you. And I wonder if you can ever sleep in, with them sounding off regularly!

Take care,

BC
Comment
Cancel
1740498_tn?1328966185
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
church Bells, hearing loss?
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hearing Loss Community Resources