consered mom
I have a six year old, that has bad ear infections.  Her doctor was suppose to set up a date to take her to a hearing specialist and never heard from them!  Now my daughter cannot hear outta one ear, What do I do?  Also have not been able to find another pediatrician that will take new patients.
Hi and welcome to the hearing loss community.

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are going through with your daughter's ear. I would call the insurance company to confirm that you can see an audiologist without a referral from the doctor. You may not need him--depends on the insurance company.

If you do not need him, call your local hospital and ask for audiology. Most hospitals have an audiology department.

If you need a referral, I would call the doctor to ask if you can pick up the referral form. Then make the appointment for audiology yourself.

I would do the same thing with an ENT. If the doctor you were talking about (who did not make the hearing specialist appointment) was an ENT, find another one.

An audiologist can tell you more about the kind of hearing loss your daughter has. The audiologist can also help you work with the school to make sure your daughter has what she needs to learn effectively. It must be hard for her to understand the teachers right now. She may need a 504 plan.

An ENT can help you figure out what to do about the ear infections and hearing loss. There may be a surgery. Or there may be nothing to do but wait for the infection to clear up. But if your daughter has had many infections, she might need a PE tube in the ear. It lets the fluid drain.

Good luck. Please let us know how it goes!

BC