Hearing Loss Community
flu...then hearing loss in 1 ear...
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

flu...then hearing loss in 1 ear...

Hi! I got the flu shot in the fall...and then got the Type A flu ( or, whatever its called this year!) almost 2 weeks ago. Its horrible! Started with the cough..which I still have, worse than ever---My Dr put me on Tamiflu...which..Im not sure if it did anything or not...That was March 4th. I got over the aches, pains,fever etc...and was left with a terrible cough. Several days ago, I woke up, and my right ear was plugged solid. I cant hear anything out of it. I waited a few days..then saw my Dr. She said my ear looked good--but she could see fluid in there.
Well, yesterday I went to Urgent care. My ear was very painful. Its now infected, and still plugged just as solid. Put on 2000mg a day amoxicillian. Ive had 3 days of that dose, and my ear is still just as plugged as ever. Its awful..very distracting, and I really have a tough time hearing! Im only 46..and not ready for a hearing aid! Is this just part of the flu..as the urgent care Dr told me it was?