flu...then hearing loss in 1 ear...
Hi! I got the flu shot in the fall...and then got the Type A flu ( or, whatever its called this year!) almost 2 weeks ago. Its horrible! Started with the cough..which I still have, worse than ever---My Dr put me on Tamiflu...which..Im not sure if it did anything or not...That was March 4th. I got over the aches, pains,fever etc...and was left with a terrible cough. Several days ago, I woke up, and my right ear was plugged solid. I cant hear anything out of it. I waited a few days..then saw my Dr. She said my ear looked good--but she could see fluid in there.
Well, yesterday I went to Urgent care. My ear was very painful. Its now infected, and still plugged just as solid. Put on 2000mg a day amoxicillian. Ive had 3 days of that dose, and my ear is still just as plugged as ever. Its awful..very distracting, and I really have a tough time hearing! Im only 46..and not ready for a hearing aid! Is this just part of the flu..as the urgent care Dr told me it was?
See my blog entry on sudden hearing loss!

Eric Wilkinson, MD