Hearing Loss Expert Forum
hearing aid financial assistance? osteopenia/hearing loss

Questions in the Hearing Loss expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

I've Meniere's, otosclerosis, and tinnitus.  I don't have insurance coverage/money to purchase hearing aids.  Are there any resources that can assist me?

Can osteopenia damage my hearing and possibly trigger otosclerosis?

Thank you for your reply.
Thank you for using this forum for your questions.  I will start by answering your question regarding hearing aid financial assistance.  

Unfortunately most insurances do not pay for hearing aids because Medicare does not pay for hearing aids.  Having said that, there are some insurances that do provide a "hearing aid benefit" towards the purchase of aids and you would be responsible for the remainding balance.  You should definitely check into that with your insurance. Although they may not cover fully, there may be partial payment.

If you are working, you can contact your state Vocational Rehabilitation organization that is typically run through the Department of Education on a state by state level. I can speak for the state of Florida. Our Vocational Rehab department does provide financial assistance to patients with hearing loss that are employed or looking for employment.  There are qualifications however this is a great resource if you do qualify.

You can also contact your local Sertoma or Lion's Club to see if they provide any assistance for hearing aids.

Also, many hearing care organizations, like HearUSA, do offer payment options and lower price hearing aid options.  You can locate a HearUSA provider by visiting our website www.hearusa.com and use the "locate a provider" tool.

Regarding the Osteopenia and otosclerosis.  The most common causes of otosclerosis are genetics, hormonal effects following pregnancy, measles/viruses that affect the ear.  There is not a lot of literature that states that osteopenia causes otosclerosis or hearing loss.  You can further discuss this with the physician who is treating your Osteopenia.

I hope you found this information helpful and we thank you for using the forum.

Rachele M. Orsini, Au.D.