hearing loss caused by Streptomycin
I have a friend who lost her hearing completely after being given Streptomycin when she was 15 years old.

She lives in a rural part of China where medical support is non existant

I want to know are there any new products or methods to correct this without going to the unaffordable route of a Cochlear implant , i have heard the CI is about $70,000  ??

She is a very intelligent educated woman but has worked shovelling coal for 10 years due to discrimination over her hearing impairment , and has no social life due to a lack of acceptance and understanding of disabilities in China so it would be nice to find a way to help.

thankyou. Em
I don't know of anything besides a CI, but why not try asking for help, information, or referral from the Let Them Hear Foundation?

http://www.letthemhear.org/default.php

It is very humbling to be reminded of how lucky we are in the United States with access to health-care resources, at least those of us with insurance.

Good luck and bless you for trying to help your friend.

Nancy T.