Hearing Loss Community
hearing problem after flight

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

hearing problem after flight

A little over three weeks ago I was on a 5 hour flight during which I had some bad congestion in my ears, nose and lungs.  As the airplane was descending I was getting some significant pain in my ears.  I tried yawning to fix the problem, but it didn't work well. The pain and pressure was considerable and I felt a popping sensation when the pressure finally seemed to subside.  After that I heard ringing.  For about the next week or so I continued to have ear congestion, ringing and difficulty hearing.  On my flight home I had a similar experience, but not as bad. Now that my congestion is mostly gone, I still occasionally hear some ringing, although it isn't as bad as it was.  I've also been told that my body generates an excessive amount of ear wax that is a hereditary problem.  The ear wax problem has also been mentioned by doctors examining my father and my daughter.  My father lost most of his hearing over the years and we've had similar environmental factors during our careers. Can anyone tell me if there is a better way for me to deal with ear problems casued by ear congestion during flights?
Thanks.
Mike B.
To avoid issues such as you discrived you should use a nose spray "Affrin" around 30 minutes before the flight.

That said, I would advise you to get checked out, you need to see an ENT coupled with an Audiologist.  Or if you do not have the time or desire to wait for an ENT, go directly to an audiologist. The can test you and see if everything is working normally. If not, then you will be refered on to an ENT for medical treatment etc.

wish you luck
I appreciate your response.  Thanks.
Mike B.