Hearing Loss Expert Forum
please respond asap.

Questions in the Hearing Loss expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

please respond asap.

Hi,  I have been having problems with my ears.  The first time this occurred I woke up and began having pain,  like throbbing.  After a few days if raking medicine the pain went away.  About three weeks later I got in my pool. The next day I had had the same horrifying pain, with swelling under my ear.  After taking some oover-the-counter medicine within four days the pain went away.  I am in Myrtle beach now,  and about two days of swimming the pain has came back.  I began taking the same medicine and stopped swimming.  After six sleepless nights I CANNOT take the pain anymore.  It has spread to my other ear as well.  It's a throbbing pain,  feels like there's a whole bunch of blood inside. As well as two bif bumps under my right ear,  and one under my left.  I cannot barely hear.  I have never been in so much pain before. My doctor appointment isn't until four days.  What to do?  What is it?  HELP!!
This sounds like swimmer's ear - this is an infection of the outer ear canal and it can be very painful!  Water and bacteria become trapped in the ear and causes pain and swelling.  This needs prescription medication - if you can find a CVS minute clinic or urgent care clinic, they should be able to help you.  In the future, to prevent this,  use special drops in your ears after swimming to dry the ear and prevent the infection. Good luck!
Hi Brittney, It sounds like you might have a perforated eardrum and should seek medical attention right away.  You should definitely avoid getting any water or other fluids in your ears.

Please seek medical attention as soon as possible either through an urgent care center if you want to go on vacation or to your PCP when you return from vacation.

Thank you,

Rachele M. Orsini, Au.D.