Hearing Loss Community
tinnitus and root canal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

tinnitus and root canal

Does anyone if theres a correlation between root canal and tinnitus?  

I had my first tinnitus attack 2 days after my first root canal.
My recent most recent T attack was around the beginning of Nov. and I had my 2nd root canal in mid Sept.

My tinnitus has not relented.
Hi onstar,

I have a similar problem as yours.  I had a gold crown (no root canal) put-on on 10/29, then in mid Nov I notice the ringing/tinnitus, then mid Dec the ringing was louder, my upper gums were going numb and I was having sinus problems.  Jan and Feb these problems got even worst, then finally I used google and stumbled across this and many other websites: http://www.biodentistrydrvizcarra.com/?s=8&sub=1

This is when I went to my dentist and he said this wasn't the problem and he wouldn't remove the crown.  So, I went to another dentists, who didn't want to remove it either, but lucky less than a week later, the crown/tooth became sensitive to cold (ice especially), so he reluctantly removed it.  

About a day or two after it was remove, all my symptoms have drastically improved (ringing, numbness and sinuses).  It has been 9 days now and the ringing is still about the same, but the numbness is slowly going away and my sinus congestion is still there, but it doesn't affect my thinking or concentration any more (I can read again).

I have a temp crown on now and I'm not sure what to do.  I am looking into holistic dentistry.  I'll let you know what happens.

This has been terrible for me, so I hope this will help you.
To clear up my comment about 9 days later and tinnitus.  The volume of the ring is about a quarter or half of what it was when the crown was on, but it doesn't seemed to improved since the initial improvement.
I have seen quite a bit on the Web concerning gold fillings/crowns and tinnitus.  I would avoid anything gold in dental products.
I also have tinitus check out the EMF in your area ...electro magnetic fields
I have tinnitus and have a route canal problem do's anyone think its linked

I too started having a ringing sound in both ears soon after my root canal. It's loud enough to wake me from my sleep. When I had some e headaches my doctor ordered an MRI and an ENT doctor said all was clear, with no hearing loss typically associated with Tinnitus.  This leaves me wondering about the correlation with my root canal since many of the nerves in that area interconnect. Any suggestions? I'd love to be rid of it.
I have had tinnitus for decades. It wasn't debilitating.  I mainly noticed it in quiet environments.  I recently had a root canal and now the ringing has increased  exponentially.  It is so loud now I hear it in a noisy room.  

I didn't equate the two immediately.   I first thought it might be some medicine I was taking since a few them are listed as could possibly cause tinnitus.  Then I thought it might be the antibiotics I took after the root canal since I pieced together that was about when it started.  Along that train of thought, I wondered could the dental work itself be the cause, and that led me here.

Now I wonder when I first knew I had tinnitus, was it after one of other root canals?