Hearing Loss Community
what is this?????????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

what is this?????????

My mother age is 45 years .she is suffering from throat pain that immediately reaches to the ear and cause sever pain and she can not do any thing at that time. but after 3 or 4 second it stops but it happens with her after every 5 minutes.
All the ENT specialist and medical specialist tells that there is no problem with her throat ,nose and ear.They think that it may be a nerve pain .but they are not sure.
It happened with her 7 years before in 2003 but after it never happen .now it happen in 2009 and  finished and happen again on 28 November 2010 .and she still have all these symptoms.
the pain is only in left side throat and ear.

she had done thyroid test which is normal (remember that this is not thyroid scans).Throat swab for culture : normal flora only.No pathogens isolated. .and there are some xrays of neck which is all clear. there is another test that was conducted by given some liquid material than they xrays (sorry i do not know what that test called )is also clear.

nothing stimulate to pain happen and nothing stop it .it just happens only no one can understand it.

tab tegral 200 (2 times)
tab prothiaden 75(1 time)

remember that she had suffering from this pain from December 2009 .medicine give relief but during the medicine course this happen again. this is an episodic illness but from last  months it is going on.means she can not get full relief.

CT Scans report
clinical information: pain in left ear radiating to neck .
study: CT SCANS PETROUS
technique:
• with and without contrast
• 5mm, axial and coronal images through petrous bones are submitted.
report
• fracture involving tip of the left styloid process, the right styloid process however appears normal.
• left styloid process measures 2.6 cm in size and right measures 3 cm in size.
• bilateral frontal, ethmoidal, maxillary and sphenoid sinuses are pneumatized without any evidence of mucosal thickening, soft tissue density or retention cysts.
• bilateral mastoid air cells appear unremarkable.
• biletral tympanic membranes, epitympanic recesses & scutum are intact.
• bony semicircular canal and cochlea are intact.
• tegmen tympani & sigmoid plate on both sides are unremarkable.
• visulazied biltateral petrous temporal regions are unremarkable.
• biletral internal auditory meati, carotid & jugular *-notches are symmetrical.
• visualized TM joints & intra-cranial structure are normal / unremarkable.
conclusion
fracture of left styloid process.

one ENT doctor suggest operation (he had done only one and he also dont know about the success about the operation because the patient fly to the dubai) another ENT doctor suggest to not do any thing with it.because it is very risky operation and it has no relationship with the symptoms.

now i want to ask from u what to do .please reply me as soon as possible .
hi I have those symptoms and I have trigeminal neuralgia. It affects the 3 nerves in your face and shoots unbearable pain into ur face, ear, throat and scalp.  I take Carbamazepine also known as Tegretol and it really helps.  Anything from brushing your hair to brushing ur teeth can trigger the nerves to flare up.  Just google Trigeminal neuralgia its also known as the suicide disease.  GOD luck and God bless to you and your mom.

I saw a neurologist and they did an mri because trigeminal neuralgia can also affect the myelin sheath in the brain.  For the present time this has not been the case with me, but since carbamazepine worked for me in calming down the pain I was diagnosed with TN (trigeminal neuralgia).

When the myelin sheath is affected it very difficult to remedy the pain and all they can do is meds to make you comfortable.  There are many blogs on this disorder but they can be very scary and depressing so brace yourself but they also can have answers for you and your mom.

I hope they helps and I will keep,you both in my prayers.  Please let me know how it goes. Take care and God bless.