???????
has anyone been on an old anti-depressant called "Tofranil" brand name or "Imipramine" generic? I have been on it for 25 years, and have been told to get a holter monitor and an ekg, to rule out "PAT" and I have no idea what that means.  I do have little arrythmias and some times long fast ones, and have been told that this old type on mediciene can cause these kinds of problems.  Now I am petrified at the thought of all this.  Does anyone have any similar case?   I am getting more scared to go do this test worrying what if it is from the med. and what would I do without it, as I am very leary about the newer med's like prozac, paxil, etc.  I would like any info. that anyone may have. I am starting to worry  alot about this, but did not know where to go to find other people that may know, or have a suggestion as what site I may need to go to.  I am not a computor whiz, just know the basics...    Thanks for any help.

This discussion is related to can pat cause these symptoms.
I don't know anyone with tis but I did get a little information for you and I hope this helps
good luck
Michelle
Paroxysmal atrial tachycardia: Bouts of rapid, regular heart beats originating in the atrium (upper chamber of the heart). Paroxysmal atrial tachycardia (PAT) consists of periods of very rapid and regular heart beats that begin and end abruptly. During the bouts of PAT, the heart rate typically speeds up to 160-to-200 beats per minute.

PAT is due to abnormalities in the AV node "relay station" that lead to rapid firing of electrical impulses from the atrium which bypass the AV node under certain conditions. "Certain conditions" include alcohol excess, too much stress, the intake of caffeine (including that in Coke and other colas), the presence of hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) and excessive thyroid hormone intake. Some drugs can also trigger PAT.

PAT is an example of an arrhythmia where the abnormality is in the electrical system of the heart, while the heart muscle and valves may be entirely normal.