Heart Disease Community
Broken Heart Syndrome Heart Problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Broken Heart Syndrome Heart Problems

In a broken heart syndrome situation, is it true that this situation is caused not by any arterial blockage, but by a sudden stress on the heart muscle itself?  I have been accused of causing a broken heart syndrome heart situation in my sweetheart during a stressful argument between the two of us a couple of weeks before the heart problem surfaced.  However, the heart cath in the hospital, after she complained of feet swelling and trouble breathing, showed that she has two blockages on a "Y" ventricle on the back of her heart, with one being appx. 35 % blocked and the other being appx. 80 % blocked.  Stints in this "Y" area appear out of the question because of the apparent "thiness" of the artery wall near and at the blockage.  Is it possible to use a laser and atomize the plaque and suck it out of the artery without damaging the arterial walls.  Angioplasty, in my layman's opinion, seems unlikely because of the arterial wall being suspect, I would imagine, but the cardiologist doing the cath has not said this.  I would appreciate your comments.  Thanks for your help.  Jim K    (dixiejak)
broken heart syndrome is also known as stress induced cardiomyopathy and is not usually very long lasted. It must be noted that high levels of stress keep the body in fight/flight mode and over long term can be a huge risk factor for heart disease. I think you used the word 'ventricle' instead of 'artery' in your next question. Angioplasty has a range of tools such as drills, lasers, cutters, slicers and even safety nets. The laser treatment you speak of can cause some slight damage to the artery, but only the endothelium (lining) and not deeper. It would take the right medication to keep the patient from getting more disease form before this repairs and certainly avoiding stress would be a huge bonus. If I was in your position, I would inquire about a drug eluting balloon being used. I admit it can't be used with much pressure in the region you note, but it contains huge benefits. When the first stents were produced, they were called bare metal because they were just that, metal mesh. These blocked quite frequently due to scar tissue growing where the endothelium was repairing. A new type of stent was developed, coated with a drug to inhibit scar tissue formation, called the drug eluting stent. This didn't have the huge impact that was hoped for, but did lower re-stenosis levels a small amount. If you imagine a mesh stent coated in a drug being expanded to 4 times its size or more, the gaps between the metal struts become larger. None of these areas touch the artery lining and so the chemical is not delivered. So Europe developed the drug eluting balloon quite recently and the FDA wanted to wait and see the results before accepting it. The results have been pretty good because the balloon (coated with the chemical) is expanded against the artery lining and 100% touches the endothelium, delivering the chemical. It is then simply deflated and then removed. I think the biggest problem faced is one of scar tissue formation. They will give lots of anticoagulants but of course these have nothing to do with scar tissue, they simply inhibit clot formation which can be triggered by a rough endothelium. I hope this little bit of knowledge helps.