Heart Disease Community
Mitral Confused by What Doctor is Saying

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

My primary Dr. sent me to  cardiologist recently because I was having different symptoms than I usually have for  mitral valve prolapse  and heart murmur which was diagnosed yrs ago.  So after test stress echo Dr. says now I don't want you worried about your mitral valve prolapse. Than says the criteria for this diagnosis has changed and you really don't have it.  Than goes over to diagram of heart and  points to the mitral valve and says what you have is  ;   the valve is buckling causing it to not shut properly and  and some blood is flowing backwards. Huh ? this is what mitral valve prolapse is. So he is  says  well I could take randon people and at least 3 of them would have this. Well I said Primary Dr   says she hears a murmur. than he says oh that is nothing  You know how many people have murmurs.   Anyways  I was diagnosed  in the 70's with this  and have had all the symptoms.  Pains in my arm. palpatations, rapid heart beat and  occasionally not very often shortness of breath. So the other day I went to Dr again   because of other abnormalties with heart and after the  session the secretary gives me a read out of today's summary of vist  and here is what is listed

Mixed Hyperpioidemia
Palpatations
Mitral Valve disorders
Coronary atheroschlerosis of native coronary artery
Nonspecified abnormal unspecified cardivascular function study     Now what is Mitral Valve disorders doing there if  I don't have it ?  what is  a native  artery also.

the other things were diagnosed recently through  nuclear stress test.  Wonder what he means by that nonspecified thing too
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Many patients with mixed hyperlipidemia may be asymptomatic. Few may have chest pain, xanthoma xanthelasma of the eyelid, pain in the abdomen and enlarged liver. Such patients are at a higher risk of developing early coronary artery disease and heart attacks. In coronary atherosclerosis of native coronary artery the arteries of the heart become clogged with fatty plaque build-up which restricts the amount of blood flow through the arteries .Mitral valve prolapse is a condition when the valve does not close properly. In most cases, it is harmless and does not need any treatment. If it is associated with any other problem you may need treatment. It is best to clarify the test result with your doctor and discuss your concerns till you are satisfied. I hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!
He won't discuss my concerns  till I 'm satisfied and he keeps contradicting himself. My type of insurance only certain doctors accept; So I don't have much choices. But for him to say you don't have a mitral valve prolapse and than I'm handed out a printed  decription of my diagnosis and it say Mitral Valve disorders ? I haven't had a chance to ask him about that because hasn't returned my calls yet after 4 weeks.
Dear Sir/Madam,
A brief of Echo and ECG ...[Dilated Cardiomyopathy with Mitral regurgitation grade 2, LVEF 50% and Supraventricular Tachycardia, Arrhychmia (RR Irregular), heart rate 185.]

Could anybody tell me how serious heart disease of this patient?
Warm regards
I have Mitral valve disorders because mine is leaking, but the leakage is minor and nobody is really concerned about it. Could yours be the same? Your doctor should be more specific.
Yes I totally agree with you. Maybe mine is the same as yours than ?  I  intend to show him the print out the receptionist gave me and ask him and tell him to stop the nonsense and be straight forward with me.