ectasia of ascending aorta
Is ectasia of ascending aorta that measures[ 4cm APx 4cm Transverse level of right pulmunary artery] a urgent medical condition? My cardiologis and my family physicion did't mentioned to me when they gave me the resul of the receant cat-scan. I found out when i requested a copy of my cat=scan from the hospital. I did ask again the cardiologist and he told me this might be a problem in 10 years depend how much it grows in a year. Should I go and see a surgeon for this issue? I feel at unease about knowing that I do heave a diluted aorta, I am very much worried. I also have a very mild case of Mitral/Aorta and Tricupid valve of 1+. Any answers to my question are very much appretiated. (I live in ontario, canada)
Generally, an ascending aorta greater than 4.0 cm is medically considered dilated and when the size increases to 5.0 cm the condition increases the risk of a rupture and may require intervention.  The condition should be closely followed to observe any fast growth...fast growth would be 0.05 per year if I remember correctly.

Q: 4cm APx 4cm Transverse level of right pulmunary artery]

.....Transverse level is a section of the aorta that was measured.  The measurement of aortic diameters, as follows: 1, aortic valve sinus; 2, ascending aorta at the level of the right pulmonary artery; 3, proximal to the innominate artery; 4, proximal transverse aortic arch; 5, distal transverse aortic arch; and 6, aortic isthmus.

Hope this helps provide some insight and if you have any further questions or comments you are welcome to respond.  Take care,

Ken

Thank you very much for your help. I did see my family doctor and the Cardiologist and they both said that is not to be worried. They will check me in a year to see any changes. The cat-scan reported as "essentially negative". They are not worried, but I am. Thanks again Tea
Research ARB drugs and their role in healing aortic dilatations.  You can use Google or click on my screenname to view my prior posts on this topic.