Heart Disease Community
pain after stent

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

pain after stent

Have sharp pain in heart area since stent in R-artery. Didn't have before stent. All tests show normal. Pain comes and goes no matter what I'm doing. Cardiologist and primary Dr. say don't worry about it. Easy for them to say. If I really had a heart attack,I wouldn't know it?
I'm not familiar with the term R-artery, is that the Right Coronary Artery?  When you speak of the tests being normal, what tests were done after the procedure to diagnose the cause of the pain?

I had eight stents inserted over a seven year period, and after one of the stents I had some chest discomfort along with breathlessness, and a stress test and  angiogram determined an artery was leaking and more stents were inserted.  Is the pain like the symptom that you had prior to your stent?
generally, sharp pains aren't from Cardiac problems, but that is a rule of thumb.  
Keep us informed.    
It is thr right artery. It's not same pain i had before stent.It's a sharp pain exactly where heart is located. Started having this same time got stent. Tests showed nothing=stress test, cardio cat scan,ultrasound,chest xray.
Pain comes and goes throught day. Worried if i actually having heart attack,i wouldn't do anything. Can't go to emergency room every day.
thanks,joe
Sorry about all those responses?? Couldn't see how to delete them?
Unfortunately it is no edit button on this board. While Med help giving a perfect look and sections to that place, it seems somehow it is better for them if we are not able to correct our mistake. It is probably better for them, so we are not able to go back in time and dilate our posts (only reason I can think they don’t give us the edit button) for us is not god.  It bothers me too, and hate the fact that only the authorized person has the privilege to correct me if I am a little harsh on somebody or for them seems I was harsh and report. That often made me wonder why I am here at all.
If I closed my account I can’t even erase my posts as most places I could.
So don’t worry about your little trill:). Have a great day!  
See? The authorized person did his job.:)
I've had 10 stents in total now and after 2 procedures I had sharp pains on the same side the stents were placed. i.e. when left artery was done, had pains in left side of chest, occasionally down left arm. I was told this is not uncommon and believed to be due to the trauma to the artery. If there is hard plaque, this is basically forced into the artery wall, a bit like squeezing glass into your leg or arm. I was told to drink plenty of fluids and the longest they have lasted is 3 months. The pain I felt was like the 'stitch' you get sometimes after/during running.
Thanks for your reply. I had stent 3 yrs. ago. Very little at first. Only for 15 min. when started my walk,then went away even befor i finished my walk. Did that until Dec. and now does it throught the day off and on, daily. Afraid if I'm having heart attack, I won't know it.  joe
it's not a heart attack, the pain wouldn't come and go. A heart attack is not just during exertion, it's at all times, even when sitting still. Your Dr is assuming that it isn't the heart because of the timing. I would seek a second opinion. When they did your stent, did they mention any other blockages which were forming but still small?
Thanks for reply.I did get 2nd opinion from primary dr. He did the lung xray. Other tests were by cardiologist. Primary Dr. talked with Card. They both SAY they don't know but agree it's not serious. Easy for them since they don't have daily pain. If it's not heart,i would just like to know what it is? It started when stent was put in 3 yrs. ago and got worse last 2 months. If it's from stent,they won't admit it. Don't know why. Maybe need 3rd opinion?
If the pain commenced when the stent was inserted and has remained since that time, then it doesn't take much logic to know the likely cause. I would really go for a third opinion because problems don't always show during tests. I spent 2006-2007 on anti acid medication because they believed I had a stomach issue. ECG, Echo were always normal through that year. Then in 2007 I had a heart attack which shocked them all, including me. There are problems which stents can cause, and not many cardiologists will admit to it, which deludes me. Firstly, you could have developed collateral vessels to assist with feeding your heart past the blockage, and the stent may have caused them to close up. However, the artery beyond the stent could have irregularities too small for the naked eye to see and these slow down blood flow, and eventually cause new disease to form. Last year I received a letter from my consultant cardiologist saying he believed he could see something wrong with my Circumflex artery. He said I should have an angiogram. On arrival, his registrar was confused because he could see nothing in the images. Anyway, I had the angiogram and still he could see nothing on the images but decided to do a fractional flow rate test. This is a tiny sensor on the end of a catheter, available at all angio suites. They guide it to the top of the artery and take a reading of flow rate and pressure. They then slowly pass it down the entire artery looking for any drops. Half way down, mine gave a huge drop, like the flow had suddenly virtually stopped. They ballooned along the artery until the pressure was constant, and it took 2 stents to smooth out the area. So, not everything can be seen. I'm still confused how my consultant saw it, I will ask him next month when I have a checkup. It might be worth asking them to use FFR on your major coronary arteries to see if anything is wrong. Your Left, right and circumflex ?
Thank you very much for your replies. I really appreciate it. I'm lost as what to do. Some days pain comes and goes.Past Fri. had pain almost all day. Then Sat.,next day, had no pain all day?? I just don't see how Dr. can say it's not serious, if they don't know what it is?