Aa
A
A
Close
weak heart
Is a weak heart that is only working at 50% of what it should be the same as congestive heart failure?     An infarction??? of 22.

This discussion is related to Weak Heart Syndrome.
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
187666 tn?1331176945
Not sure I understand. An ejection fraction of 50% would not be bad at all. The heart never empties completely when it contracts. If I remember correctly a normal EF would be about 50-65%. An infarction usually refers to a heart attack. Can you clear this up for me?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
367994 tn?1304957193
Question: "Is a weak heart that is only working at 50% of what it should be the same as congestive heart failure?     An infarction??? of 22".

Congested heart failure indicates the heart is only pumping 29% or less into circulaion with each heartbeat.  The problem develops when more blood is received from the lungs to be pumped into circulation than the heart is able to pump.  This causes the blood to backup into the lungs and fluids leak into lung tissues (edema, congestion).

An infraction indicates there has been heart muscle damage, and heart muscle damage reduces the heart's ability to pump adequately, and that would be the underlying cause for congested heart failure.  

As Irene states it is unclear what 22 references, but if that is the amount of blood pumped with each heartbeat that could cause congested heart failure.  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1318997813
Blank
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1440481484
Blank
Netherlands
144586 tn?1284669764
Blank
Blank
Blank
Ireland
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
Start Tracking Now
Blank
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
Blank
GirlyBear15 commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
10 hrs ago
Blank
Hema13 added the Diabetes Tracker
Dec 02
Blank
replytorahul commented on Ear Mystery, Solved
Dec 02
Heart Disease Community Resources