Heart Disease Community
weak heart

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

weak heart

Is a weak heart that is only working at 50% of what it should be the same as congestive heart failure?     An infarction??? of 22.

This discussion is related to Weak Heart Syndrome.
Not sure I understand. An ejection fraction of 50% would not be bad at all. The heart never empties completely when it contracts. If I remember correctly a normal EF would be about 50-65%. An infarction usually refers to a heart attack. Can you clear this up for me?
Question: "Is a weak heart that is only working at 50% of what it should be the same as congestive heart failure?     An infarction??? of 22".

Congested heart failure indicates the heart is only pumping 29% or less into circulaion with each heartbeat.  The problem develops when more blood is received from the lungs to be pumped into circulation than the heart is able to pump.  This causes the blood to backup into the lungs and fluids leak into lung tissues (edema, congestion).

An infraction indicates there has been heart muscle damage, and heart muscle damage reduces the heart's ability to pump adequately, and that would be the underlying cause for congested heart failure.  

As Irene states it is unclear what 22 references, but if that is the amount of blood pumped with each heartbeat that could cause congested heart failure.