Heart Disease Community
1+ pitting edema

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

1+ pitting edema

I have been implanted with a pacemaker in 2006  and medication for BP are Cardizem & Lisinopril  and for the past 2 months the swelling in my lower legs has been noted 1-2+ and stops where ever my socks end by evening I can hardly walk as the are so tight.I have gained over 5 lbs in just a few days despite no calorie increasement. Went to the PCP and he ran a blood test BNP but it was in normal range and has not yet done anything with the edema I have.  I elevated my legs several times a day but they don't go down much as in the AM they are still swollen and the cycle continues. I am on a low salt diet and watch my intake of fluids I really don't notice any real SOB but tire so easy and do rest during the day. I don't have a follow up cardiology appt till Feb of 2008 but the PCP doesn't seemed concerned at this point. Any suggestions?? advice as what I can do to relieve it. I am also diabetic so its like chooseing from a menue as what the issue is and whats causing this problem. thanks for any advice in advance
Tags: edema
So you aren't on any diuretics yet? It may come to that. As for socks - I've been buying some that are for diabetics. They have a very loose knit top portion that's great. As much as I love cute socks, pretty socks, they're made for Barbie dolls. The very top is so tight I don't see how anyone can wear them. I'm not overweight or anything but still, I don't like that deep dent in my legs. The only problem with the socks for diabetics is the color selection is limited to black and white. Oh well, better than pinched legs.