Heart Disease Community
1 year after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

1 year after surgery

I had quadruple bypass in November 2008.....I am feeling sort weird these days. I don't know if it's the medications or diet or what. These feelings come and go in spells. I still get a little pain from the chest every once and a while as well. Anybody that has had this surgery, can you tell me if I will ever feel the same again or should I expect these things to happen over the rest of my life. Now grant it.....I can deal with it, just want to know what to expect. Some of the medications can sometimes be tricky. Just want to know what to expect.
I'm not the best person to advise you on the long term outlook with a bypass, as my two vein grafts closed after just 3 months. However, the grafted artery (lima) is still fine. The
reason I jumped in here is to offer some advice on monitoring your bypass.
When I felt comfortable enough to walk after the surgery, I chose a 30 minute route which I walked religiously every day. I ensured I ate an hour before the walk and made
a chart at home for different areas of the route so I could mark out of 10 how easy it was when I reached each point. I know it sounds scientific, but when you are doing different tasks all the time, it's hard to know whether things are improving or getting worse. In my
route I had to walk down a long hill and walk back up it later on. It wasn't steep, just long.
In the first month, most points were increasing in score and the average was a 9 out of 10 for ease. Then I noticed how it started to drop, to a 6 over the next month. I used this
chart for my Cardiac surgeon who said everything was fine, I was being too scientific.
Weeks later the chart was down to 4 and then at the end of the third month I was gasping for breath. Nobody knows your body better than you.
What is incredible is that the cardiac surgeon simply put his stethascope to my chest, listened for 5 seconds and said "everything is fine". Who needs all that sophisticated equipment when you can get a magic stethascope which does an ECG, Stess test, Echo scan, persusion scan and angiogram all in 5 seconds flat. Why don't they supply them to all cardiologists.
A "little chest pain" is too much chest pain. There are many reasons why you might have problems but don't second guess your pain.Go back to the doctor before something big happens.Jaon.
You shouldn't expect to have chest pain as a result of your surgery.  The probability is present to have coronary artery disease as a bypass did not cure.  The expectation of the bypass is to relieve the ischemic symptoms, but not permanently...still at a risk for CAD and/or the medications may be the cause.  But don't assume anything regarding your symptoms, and even if the chest pain, etc. goes away doesn't mean something heart related didn't occur.  And there could be a problem subsequent to your present experience without any further symptoms, but the damage can continue silently to heart failure...it happened to me; my first symptom was heart failure.