Heart Disease Community
100% blocked carotid arteries

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

100% blocked carotid arteries

HI MY FATHER IS 54 AND JUST FOUND OUT THAT HE IS BLOCKED 100% IN BOTH ARTERIES IN THE NECK .
THE BACK ONES ARE NOW DOING WHAT THE FRONT ARTERIES ARE SUPPOSE TO BE DOING BUT THEY ARE ALSO HALF BLOCKED. ALSO HE IS BLOCKED IN BOTH LEGS. THE DR SAID THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO FOR HIM BECAUSE IF HE WENT UNDER THE CHANCE OF HIM MAKING IT THROUGH SUREGY WERE SLIM. THEY ALSO TOLD HIM IF AND WHEN HE HAS A STROKE THAT IT WOULD NOT BE A MILD ONE. SO MY QUESTION IS TO YOU IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE HE CAN DO TO HELP HIS SITUATION.

YES HE DOES SMOKE AND I KNOW THAT WOULD HELP IF HE STOPPED BUT I DONT THINK HE IS LISTENING.
BUT HE DOES EAT RIGHT AND HIS CHOLESTEROL IS REALLY GOOD THE DR.SAID THAT WAS SHOCKING. AND HIS WEIGHT IS GOOD  SO IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTION IT WOULD BE GREAT

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Why can't a cardiac doctor (intervential cardiologist) do angioplasty to clear the half blocked arteries and possibly clear the totally blocked artery.  That doesn't require surgery, but your post doesn't indicate a reason why your father is a high risk for surgery?
I went through a very similiar situation with my father 12 years ago, but we found out about it because he had a stroke.  He was 100% blocked on the right hand side and 95% blocked on the left hand side.  Like your father, his arteries in the back are also blocked at about 80%.  I remember the surgeon said that the arteries in the back of the neck carry a 20% mortality rate in order for them to be repaired.  They put him on medication to control the situation.  He was doing great until about 5 years when he suffered another stroke.  Same thing only they changed up his meds.

My father has horrible cholestrol, high BP, doesn't eat right, drinks, and still smokes.  My father is only 64 and he has already had 2 strokes.  The fact that my father doesn't take care of himself upset me, but it has been 12 years and unfortunately I can't let it ruin my life.

I am assuming they are going to control your dad's situation with medications.  I know my father takes Aggrenox and hasn't had any problems since they put him on that 5 years ago.  I wish you lots luck with your dad.  Please harp on him for the smoking, we didn't really get after my dad at first and now it is too late.  He hides when he smokes, it is like he is a teenager.

Shell