Heart Disease Expert Forum
13 year old girl and BP

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

13 year old girl and BP

I am hypertensive female, obese , enlarged heart, ocular pressure.

My daughter who is 13 years old, is about 5'3" and weighs about 120 pounds, about the right weight for her height. When I measure d her BP with the digital BP monitor it was 108/69. What should the BP be for a young girl that age. Is this too high for a 13 year old girl. I have a lot of problems and I do not want her to get a high BP at such a young age.

I'm finding it very difficult to get her to eat less starchy/ fatty foods. I would like to take your advice and show it to her.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Dear Jan,

Your daughters blood pressure is normal for her age, but keep a close eye on it.  I would make certain to decrease salt usage in your household an have your daughter keep her weight down.
I would like to know what the long term effects are for a child having to take Procardia and Atenolol for the rest of his life for hypertension.  He is now 8 and has been on these medications since age 4.
Dear Elsa,

There are no long term effects.