20% heart function after heart attack.
  The reason I'm asking this question is because I can't find an answer on the web, and the people close to me won't give me a straight answer. About 6 weeks ago my girl friends mother suffered a pretty massive heart attack. They ended up putting a stint in, and then told her that they were going to wait 6 weeks and see how she was doing. At that point she only had 20% of her heart functioning. They told her that when she came back in for her check up if enough of her heart functioning hadn't returned that she would have to be put on a heart transplant list. She is only 40 years old, and isn't in too bad of shape. What she has going against her is that she gained 40lbs. in 2 weeks(this is before the heart attack), and smoked constantly. She was told to stop smoking, obviously, but a few weeks ago one of her close friends died and drove her to smoke again. She only smoked for a few days, and it was lightly, but never the less she was smoking. I guess what I'm asking is, what do y'all think her chances of regaining enough of her heart function to where she doesn't need to get a transplant? I NEED someone to give it to me straight, and even if you don't know what will happen(which you obviously won't) to please give me your best guess.

Thank you,

BNF
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If the stent has opened up her blocked arteries and if the viable myocardium is able to improve her ejection fraction, then her prognosis is good. Depending on the extent of blockage again CABG may be another option. If the ejection fraction cannot be improved, then the prognosis will depend on other comorbid conditions.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.