Heart Disease Community
25% heart function????

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

25% heart function????

An ECG shows my brother only has 25% heart function.  A nurse (family friend) said there are many people who have this much loss and live many years.  Is this true, and if so how well this effect him.  He is 62, obese, had a quad bypass 7 years ago, and was recently diagnosed with congestive heart failure and is being treated at home with Lasix.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge?   Thanks.  
Going on 6 years ago (CHF), I had an EF13=19% and curently a normal EF 59% (normal range 55 to 75% and is the % of blood pumped with each heartbeat).  When the EF is 30% or less it is medically considered heart failure range and often the heart is unable (weak heart muscles) to pump into circulaion the blood/oxygen received from the lungs and the blood backs up into the lungs and fluids leak into the tissues (pulmonary edema) and causes congested heart failure.  Lasix is prescribed to reduce the fluid build up in the lungs.

Whether one survives many years with a low EF can happen, and it is possible to raise the EF with medication, exercise, proper diet, etc.  It is known and estimated  there are about 26% of the heart disorder population (EF <30%) who do not know nor aware of any heart problem...many have sudden cardiac arrest.
When my husband had a second heart attack May, '10, we were told he had 15% heart function, (congestive heart failure with pacemaker/defibrillator implant following immediately). Recently, after two meds for 11 months, an echo revealed 25% heart function per echo tech. She followed by saying the number was out of 50, not 100, as most people thought. Why would they use "per cent" if not per 100? I was stunned and asked no questions. Anyone have an educated explanation?
I'm not sure I understand your doctor's remarks.  The understanding of ejection fraction (may be mislabeled because the calculation is in terms of a percentage) and normal is 50 to 70% of the blood filled in the left ventricle is pumped out of the left ventrcle. You are correct and I have thought of that same question?!  The calculation is the volume of blood just before contraction of the left ventricle and after contraction the remaining volume is subtracted and then divided by before contraction volume times "100" for a percentage and referred to as an ejection fraction?.  

Thanks for your question, take care,
Ken
Its my understanding the heart pumps 50-55%  "normal", when running it can pump up to higher percentage. When operating your car at normal speeds, it operates at 55 miles per hour but when you are bringing someone to the hospitable it can go 100 miles per hour. The normal heart can also "run" to the hospitable just like the car, it pumps faster
As far as I'm aware, this isn't quite right. Normal EF of 50-75% is how the heart runs at all times, whether lounging in a chair, or running as fast as you can. It's simply how much of the blood in your left ventricle is pushed out with each beat. Whether at 60bpm or 160bpm, this is the same, because the left ventricle is pumping the same way, just faster.
Look at it this way. You have a large container of water you need to empty, and you use a small cup to do this. You are always removing the same volume of water in the cup each time, no matter how fast you do it.
If you keep exercising regularly, then the heart can adapt. The left ventricle muscle wall thickens and gets stronger, to force more blood out with each beat. Running faster, the heart does get more blood around the body, but it only ejects the same amount with each beat. EF is basically the amount of blood in the left ventricle just before it pumps minus the amount is pumps minus the amount left when it pumps. There is always some left in the left ventricle. So if 70%, you pump 70% of the blood from your left ventricle into your body with each beat, 30% remains.
Thank you for your post. I pray your husband is fine? My husband was just categorized as CHF, with 30% functionality of his heart and had a defibrillator put in. They said his only treatment option is medication, diet and exercise. He cannot have another quadruple bypass. I don't know what to expect and I'm afraid all the time. Your post gave me hope. Thank you so much.
Michelejarvey357
Remember that with God all things are possible, God said cast your cares upon him he cares for us, prayer changes situations. Hallelujah, im pleading the blood of Jesus over your situation, may God give you peace and healing in the mighty name of Jesus !
dear sister Micheleharvey, my god bless you and your husband, i am mohammed mumtaz din, indian national, i am also suffering from same heart fail and my heart function only 25% . make good exercise and diet food no oil no salt, and 45 minutes walking every night before sleep,
also try to eat flax seed powder one table spoon per day or more no problems
it will reduce cherostrol and good for heart, eat dates ajouwa 3 pc per day and rest date seed powder every morning before breakfast 1/2 teaspoon ,
rest my god bless all of us,

your brother
mohammed mumtaz din
***@****
dear ,ed thank you so much , this information really i like it, and its clear information from yo, once more thank you so much