3 leaky valves in healthy 32 year old.
hi,
i have 3 leaky valves, i just found out last month. my aortic is mild to moderate, mitral is mild and triscuspid is mild. i have seen 2 dr's and they seem to think i should not be worried at this point and just get my heart checked once a year w/an echocardiogram. is anyone else in this situation? this many leaky valves at a young age? they didn't think i need medication for it. any advice or experience with this i would love to hear.
thanks.
Well, I have one leaky valve and the doctors told me that this is a normal heart for a 44 year old.  The heart valves can improve on their own.  I have spoke to several elderly people who are in their 80's who said that they had bad valves and that they just got better and they did not need surgery.  My grandfather had a leaky valve for 30 years.  The heart valves will cause extreme shortness of breath if they become severe and need attention.  There are many new heart procedures being done now and are coming in the next few years, so if your heart valves were to get worse there may be no more open heart surgery done for repair or replacement of the valves.  The surgery will be done through a catheter through the groin.  Eat healthy and get the yearly echo, but try not to worry about it and let it take over your life.  There are a lot of people are out there who do not even know that they have leaky valves and have no symptoms and feel fine.  Sometimes the heart fixes itself.  Try not to worry, just make sure to eat healthy.  
Usually there is some calcification of valves as one ages as does calcification of the vessels and the leaflets do not completely close...also can be congenital and never progress.  Mild is considered medically insignificant.  

Mild to moderate is unlikely to be a problem and asymptomatic, but if and when there is a problem the usual pathology would be an enlarged left ventricle to compensate fro less blood blood pumped into circulation with each heartbeat.  An enlarged LV can/will impair contractions compromising an adequate supply of blood to meet the blood/oxygen demand.  Worst case scenario.

I have moderate to severe mitral valve regurgitation for many years, and there has been no progression and no symptoms.  Also, mild leakage of the other valves.  

Do you know the underlying cause for the aortic valve insufficiency?
thank you for your information. i do not know the cause of the aortic leakage. i have never been sick as a child, or really as an adult, never hospitalized. the cardiologist seemed to think it is something that i was born with. i know it is not that common in women to have it be in the aortic valve. it is good to talk to someone like you who is going through something similar. i have also been experiencing higher blood pressure than normal. i usually am on the lower end.
thank you for your information and comments. i am trying to not be stressed about it and just think that my heart will heal itself. there is no cause for why i have these leaky valves, other than being born w/it. i do eat very healthy, but my blood pressure has been higher than normal lately so i am not really able to exercise.
it's good to hear from you that there is hope. thanks.
I also am going through the same sittuation. I am only 31 and found out last year, after going to soooo many dr. about chest pain and speedy heart and high bp, that I have 3 mild leaky heart valves. 1)Mild mitral regurgitation 2)Mild pulmonic insufficiency 3)Mild tricuspid regurgitation with normal estimated pulmonary artery pressures. I have mormal left ventricular systolic and diastolic function. Before I found this out, the dr. put me on propranolol (beta blocker) 10mg 3xs a day to keep my hr lower along with bp. So I've been on these meds for a year now. But hear recently, I had to lower the doseage to 2xs a day cause my hr wouldnt go over 68, while being active. But anyways, the cardio dr. does want me to remain on the meds along with one baby asprin a day to prevent heart attack. He told me that the beta blocker would take lower hr and bp so there is less stress on the heart which could cause worsening of the valves. Last month I went in for an exam and he said everything seems to be going great. He releived me by telling me that you could live for 50yrs or more with heart valves leaking. Also said that I could excersice as much as my heart desires and if I even wanted to have more children, than I could. He assured me that I was probably born with it. Which makes sence, cause I had severe dizziness, headaches and nosebleeds as a child. At that time no dr. could figgure out what was causing my problems. Cardio dr. told me this is probably why I had problems as a child.
Hope this helps and know that your not alone!:)
I stress myself all the time worrying about this and it really makes things worse on me.
Oh yeah and searching the net is scary too not to mention stressfull. I know, I do it all the time.
Sometimes an aortic valve begins to leak at about your age due to a bicuspid aortic valve.  That is a congenital condition referred to as an aortic syndrome where the leaflets (closes the valve opening during the filling phase and opens during the pumping phase) for the valve are two rather than the normal three.  Also, the aorta root (area just below the opening) can be involved and is susceptible to abnormal enlargement.  Worst case scenario.  Take care.
This may not be much help, but I, too, have 3 leaking heart valves.  I began to have muscle spasms that progressed to disabling pain.  I had a variety of symptoms including palpitations and chest pain that forced me into the ER without insurance.  Many tests later, I have apparently been dignosed with a magnesium deficiency that has done some permanent damage.  I may progress to Pulmonary Hypertension; no one knows for sure. My diet was not that poor, so the cause is unknown.  Needless to say, I now take supplements.  Defintely eat well, consider supplements, exercise moderately if and when you can, and keep getting echos yearly.  I wish us both luck.  Without insurance I could not be referred to a cardiologist, yet.  The doctors I saw had no real good advice.  We are left in the dark....
gosh im 35 and i just found out i have 3 mild valve leakages!!!!!!!!
i see my life flashing before my eyes!!!!!!!!  
i want to cry everyday!
and i feel selfish to say that !!!
im 35, i just found out i have 3 valves that are mildly leaking! the only one good is the aortic valve... how depressing!
i was told no meds ,, just monitor it yearly!
im going threw the samething,, just found out that i have the same leaky valves as you and its mild! im 35 and was told i dont need any meds!
i have two kids and im still in shock of my condition! i should be happy to even have lived to 35 knowing how the real world works and is...
im a loss for words ... everyone god bles especially children who are going through something like this or worse :(
my heart hurts for them even more!
wish all is well.....................
Finding trivial/mild leaking in any valves is pretty much normal in the general population.   I'm surprised Dr's are sending you through all this worry for what is probably nothing.   Do some google research and you'll see the relevancy is somewhere in the tune of 70% of echos will show mild leakage of no medical significance.  

Just relax and dont worry.   There are a bunch of studies that revolve around this that will put your mind at ease.    
Hi there,

The condition where 1 or more valves are leaking:  Barlow's Syndrome or floppy valve!  It is a benign condition and very common as 20% of the population will have it, without being symptomatic.

Barlow's Syndrome should improve with aging as the valves stiffens with the aging process.

Symptoms that are alarming and should get checked out:  shortness of breath with minimal exertion, swelling of hands/abdomen/face/feet (fluid retention indicated heart failure), irregular heartbeats (Atrial Fibrillation) and palpitations, very tired - not sleepy - weak muscles and trouble standing for long times.

You can get annual Echo's to make sure that your heart function does dot deteriorate and to check leakages of valves.  But overall nothing to worry about.

All the best,
well im very young my doc dx me with a leaking tricuspid valve... I have 4 young ones.... with a lot of anxiety and this does not make anything any better...... I just pray and wish the best for everyone...
Hi there,

I can relate to your story.

I was 31yrs old when I went into heart failure from a leaking mitral valve.  My youngest was 2 years old at that stage and the oldest was 5 yrs old.

I only found out that I had a heart problem the year before that when I had problems with Atrial Fibrillation and heart enlargement.

I can remember how anxious I felt when I just got the diagnoses and I even had attacks of coronary artery spasms!  but then I decided to empower myself with knowledge and made my peace with it and I had my operation and now live a full and productive life.

Talk to your Doctors and get check ups annually and from your numbers (EF and cardiac function) you'll learn when it is time for surgery.

I hope this helped you today :)
I ALSO GET SPASMS OF MY HEART.  IT WAKES ME UP AND FEELS LIKE SOMETHING GRABBED AND SQUEEZED MY HEART, FOLLOWED BY TACHYCARDIA OF 160, I BELIEVE.  I NOTICE THE MORE REGURGITATION THE LESS TACHYCARDIA, BUT STILL THE SPASM, ESPECIALLY WHEN LYING DOWN!  LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE EVER DISCOVERS EXACTLY WHAT CAUSES THIS.  
Ive had mitral valve since in my 30's with no major problems. I am now older than most of you, 62. Last year I had 2 leaky valves.  Ultrasound yesterday showed all 4 are leaking.  I see the cardio next week. Ive dealth with stress off and on for years and have White Coat syndrome. My BP can be 200/100 at a drs office.  My normal BP is around 138/78 which the cardio is okay with.  Lately, its been pretty low, about 115-65 and I'm attributing this to the 4 recent valve leaks.  I feel okay but very tired often.  I'm scared to death!!   My husband himself just had prostate cancer surgery and is doing fine.  
I am 28 and have a leaky aortic valve, and have done for some time actually!

I exercise most days, moderate weights, run, cycle etc BP is 117/72. Eat clean and exercise, you'll be grand!
good food for leaky heart
I am healthy 32 year old male. Diagnosed with 3 leaky valves. Can some one help me with more details on how those progress.
Often, heart valves do leak a little. As long as the leakages are in the categories "trace" or "mild" it is normally no problem and in many cases the leakage remains stable for many decades.
When the leakage is "moderate" or "severe" it needs to be monitored and sometimes replacement or repair becomes necessary.

There are of course statistics on progression percentages, but per individual it is impossible to say how it will progress.
I had one severe leaky valve and two mild leaky valves...my cardio says just monitor it and its a game of wait and watch...According to him I might need surgery in next 10yrs....I am not really sure if I have symptoms...Just wanted to check if someone is going through same phase...How long they have been without any surgery..?
Even without noticeable symptoms, surgery might become necessary. That is the case when the heart starts to compensate too much for the leakage. If left untreated then, the heart will compensate further to a point when symptoms do appear and the changes in the heart are irreversible.
Therefore the monitoring is very important.
Progression and moment for surgery depends on the cause of the leakage and (with severe leakage) also on your lifestyle.