Heart Disease Community
30% heart function

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

30% heart function

My father is a 55y BM weighing 389lbs.  He has a hx of 3 MI's more than 5yrs ago.  He was dx w/CHF about a yr ago, but 5 days ago he had fluid build up & extreme SOB.  Dr's then informed us that only 30% of his heart was functioning for pumping & there is nothing else they can do.  Will a pacemaker help?  Do you have any suggestion, concerned daddy's girl.
Thank you
An EF of 30% indicates that only 30% of the blood is pumped out with each heart beat.  Normal is 55 to 75%, heart failure is is dx'd when the EF is below 29% and that indicates the heart is (may) not pumping enough blood to meet the system's demand.

When the EF is low the blood received from the lungs, and because it isn't pumped out by a weak heart, causes the blood to back up into the lungs and fluids leak out into the tissues causing SOB and a dry cough.  I had that condition 4 years ago.

Unless there is an arrhythmia problem (irregular heartbeats) or a very high risk a pacemaker would not be the treatment.  MI's have caused heart muscle damage and the damage effects heart wall movement that impairs heart contractions.  The correct treatment would be to reduce the heart's workload by decreasing the resistance (dilate vessels) ump against.  When vessels are dilated a weak heart can meet the system's demand for blood/oxygen.  Also reducing the volume of blood with a diuretic provides relief to the heart.  Workload relief can give the time for the heart to ain some of its lost strength.
Seems to me that unless he's about 10' tall, some serious weight loss would be in order.

Has no one suggested that?
My husband has defib/pacemaker with no positive results. We had hoped it would help him with energy. He is very weak/fatigue and has a very weak heart they say is functioning on 30%.  He used to be able to walk alot not even close. He is very frustrated he is white 66years old.  He has had congestive heart failure, he is type 2 diabetic and has had bypass. He is hoping some rehab will at least strengthen his legs.

any answers

susan
When did he have the bypass? did this improve the heart up to 30% ?
The pacemaker is a very good safety measure because heart failure can lead to arrhythmia problems.
shouldnt be that grossly obese in the first damn place! I pray for the poor EMTS that have to carry that out. SMDH a few salads might have helped. Death is the inevitable.
Death is inevitable for ALL of us.  WHY would you want to be so cruel?  I agree this person has a severe, health threatening weight issue.  That was not the question.  Unless you can be helpful about the question asked, why not just keep your comments to yourself?
I completely understand your concern and his frustration. You have described my husband to the tee. Same age, 30% heart function the whole nine yards. He is scheduled for a pace maker/defibrillator in one week and Praying for a difference in his health.  Never mind the cruel remarks from a few sick folks. I will be praying for your husband as wel as my own.  It's a scary,frustrating and lonely road for them especially when they have been active their entire life as mine has. All we can do is trust God.
You should discuss with his physicians why they feel there is nothing else to do.  It's difficult for me to tell you over the internet why this was told to you without having a better idea of his risk factors for device implantations, surgery, etc.  With an EF of 30%, an implantable defibrillator would be recommended in your father.  Many people can survive many years with an EF of 30%, however he will need good medical management, likely a defibrillator, and very close followup.  You asked about a pacemaker, and although he may not need one at this time if he has no arrythmia issues, a special type of pacemaker that has leads in each ventricular can sometimes be placed in certain patients who qualify for this device based on their electrocardiogram and symptoms.  This will need to be evaluated and decided by his physician, but these are some things to think about.
Bimibrat or whatever your name is I don't care no one else does either. You don't have an answer to a question. So  keep your rude comments to yourself  you struggle with other issues you need to work on apparently
I agree that weight is playing a HUGE part in his condition. My dad has the same issue and is also overweight.  I have tried many times to restrict his diet, but he would just sneak junk food when I wasn't around so I finally gave up.  Some people just really struggle with weight loss.  The only thing you can do is make sure he stays in touch with his doctor's and gets checked regularly.  You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink it!  We just have to pray that the good lord allows us to enjoy our family for as long as we can.  Good Luck with your dad.