36 with vsd
Hi there, been born with vsd since birth. I'm 36 now with a family of my own. Having annual check ups as we'll with my cardiologist and tests necessary for measuring the size of the hole. It's now at .6mm with a Qp qs of 3:2. My cardio referred me to a congenital heart specialist for co evaluation. So I went to the specialist and he told me sooner or later we still have to close the hole using the catheterization process. I'm an active guy who loves to play basketball, my question is, if I have this process done, can I still go on with my usual sports activities? Is it really time to have this procedure done? Anyone out there who has vsd near my age, how are you guys coping with it?
Hi, asymptomatic VDSs may not need surgical correction. But if there is the chance of developing pulmonary hypertension, it needs to be closed. Also, the trend now is to repair it before pulmonary hypertension develops. Available data indicate that adults with closed VSDs and without other heart or lung complications can expect to live a normal lifespan. In the 40 years that the operation has been widely used, about 6 percent of patients have required a reoperation to close small leaks that developed around the patch. So, you should be able to carry on your regular activities post closure. Please discuss all the options with your treating doctor, before consenting for surgery. Regards.