Heart Disease Community
40% blockage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

40% blockage

I had a stress test where they took pics of my heart befopre and after a drug to load my heart, or stress it... It showed a 40% blockage in the back of my heart where blood flows in...?  

My question is should this be treated? worried about?  I have had chest pains and when i exert myself like wrestling with my teenagers I get to a point I start gasping for breath and my heart races unbeleivably fast.. it takes 30 minutes or so of lying down to get it to slow down..

Im seeing a nurse prabtitioner who ordered the stress test but she didnt seem real sure of what the results meant....
I don't believe they normally treat blockages of 40% by stent or surgery, I thought that the threshhold is usually around 70%. There are others more knowlegable about this than me on this forum with more experience and hopefully they will respond as well, like Jack54, Flycaster or kenkeith.  The fact that you have a blockage means you are building up plaque and the risk factor that is causing that needs to be controlled. Do you smoke, have high cholesterol, high blood pressure or are you overweight? These are the main things you can control. You need to see a doctor or cardiologist to get the best course of action.

Good Luck,

Jon

Good Luck,

Jon
As Jon stated >70% is AHA guidelines for intervention if there are symptoms (usually chest pain with exertion but with rest quick relief).  IF A 40% BLOCKADE and PAIN a stent may be the solution.

Frankly, I do't believe the partial occlusion is THE problem.  There may be other heart and/or pulmonary issues.  
Thank you for your help I was very worried and this has me well relieved, I am morbidly obese, 5'10" 305lb's  I have had very high triglycerides and cohlesterol. I am diabetic and have been hospitalized with pancreatitis in the past due to high triglycerides. I am on lopid now and numbers are below 200 for both and im dieting  have lost 16 pounds so far this month so im doing what i can   excersise is very hard for me i suffer from severe spinal stenosis as well as difuse osteo arthritis.. and degenerative hip disease.. but ill keep workin on it... again thank you for your help...