Heart Disease Community
4.2 cm. Aortic Root

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

4.2 cm. Aortic Root

I just had an  Echo Cardio Gram and was wondering if I need to worry about my Aotric Root being at 4.2 cm??
Everything else was superb, except this. I have a dilated Aortic Root @ 4.2. My ejection fraction is at the lower limits of normal and I have possible Bicuspid & Aortic valve insufficiency....Do I need to be checked out more thoroughly?
I am 59 and very active--Hockey, Farm work, daytime company owner, husband and father in great physical shape.

Thank you
When the aortic root size is 4.0 cm it begins to be medcially termed an aneursym.  If and when the size reaches 5.0 cm, that may indicate an surgical operation may be an option to avoid any possible rupture or if the aortic root grows at 0.05 cm a year. Your 4.2 size may be the normal size for you and no problem with no progression nor serious medical problems.
A bicuspid aortic valve (BAV) is a defect of the aortic valve that results in the formation of two leaflets or cusps instead of the normal three and sometimes that presents a problem usually at the 3rd decade of life.  

For some insight there is a degeneration of aging valves, sclerosis (narrowing of opening) and calcification can occur. The bicuspid valve may also be completely competent, producing no back flow of blood into the left ventricle rather than out into circulation.  If the back flow is mild to moderate or moderate it may not present any problems. For BAV individuals complications arise in as many as one third of patients over their lifetimes; this disorder, therefore, deserves close attention and medical follow-up

Hope this helps,  and thanks for the question.  Take care and if you have any followup questions you are welcome to respond.
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
kimmyro hello Comment
facts About Meat
16 hrs ago by gymdandee
CARBS!
Jul 30 by gymdandee