5 Bypass
After seeing by primary dr. in Dec and Feb. giving me a EKG and listen to my heart, all is good. Two years ago had Nuc Stress Test all is good. Good Friday showed signs of heart attack for third time. Never had the pains during the day new I was in trouble. Went to hosp. ER and yes I was having a heart attack. I'm 57 yrs old, diabetic insulin. Had cath figured a few stents, noo had 5 blockages and dr. said he couldn't put a stent in. Transfer to heart hosp. had all five done which were completed blocked. Great job by CCU team. Anyhow picked a infection two weeks after getting home took 7 weeks for it to clear. This was my first surgery ever what a way to go. Just want to know how others felt after theirs and does depression set in I know for me it does. Thanks for any help.
It sounds like you had wonderful medical care.  

Depression after what you have gone through is not unusual, but frankly expected.  I've experienced what you have gone through.  I'm currently going through a 'second round' of heart rehabilitation after heart bypass surgery.  

Hopefully, your hospital has a heart rehab program in place, and the nurses are trained to deal with your recovery and work with the depression that follows after  what you have experienced.  

I'm just a heart recovery meatball, I'm not a professional, but as a diabetic, I suggest you lose weight if you need to, control your diabetes, change your diet if you need to eliminate red meat, exercise, and certainly, participate in the rehab program of your hospital.  Try not to listen to all the friends and family with ideas of 'natural' nostrums to cure you, in almost all cases they haven't walked the walk that you and I have walked.

I had my first heart event at your age, and I'm still standing at almost 72 years old.  Keep in touch.
Thanks for your reply, at least I know I'm not alone. I'm trying my best to change everything food, keeping my sugar under control. My oldest daughter has her eye on me all the time. Had blood work done in Dec. A1C was 12, when I left hosp it was 10 now 7.0. They told me in hosp. that was the easy part changing my life is the hardest part. Doing the best I can a few bumps here and there. Again thanks
Hi there,

You went through a traumatic time and glad to hear that you are okay now.  Depression sets in post-op.  There is even a term for it:  pump head syndrome/depression.  When they operate on your heart, they flat-line your brain for the time that you are on the bypass-pump and that scrambles your chemical balances in your brain.  And having such a big operation is also a shock to the system and buggers up your Cortisol levels, that also brings on depression.

I was 31 when I had my OHS and I am now 5 years post-op and still battling with depression sometimes.  I did not have the luxury of cardio rehab, had a 5 and 2 year old at home that I needed to take care of and little to no help from family and friends.  

Don't feel alone in this and speak to your Doctor and get some anti-depressants and even counselling if you feel it will help.

All the best and we're here for you.
Thanks Smiley good to know I'm not alone. My body has changed so much since the surgrey, never felt cold before now it's like I got the body of a ninety year old always cold. Nuropity (not spelled right) from diabetes has set in. Dr. said 6-8 wks gonna be like life.