Heart Disease Community
90% blocked right artery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

90% blocked right artery

hi i'm really confused.i was referred for an angiogram and it was found that i have a 99% blockage at the distal region of my right coronary arterty as well as a couple of mild plaques further up and a few in my left coronary artery.my artery went into severe spasm when the catheter went near it.my cardiologist was insistent that i stay off work,no stress and no physical exertions and that i was being referred for an urgent appointment to have stents inserted.however i had to chase up my appointment at the hospital concerned and they arranged an appointment in clinic for consultation.my consultant there agreed to stenting but seemed to suggest it wasnt as urgent as the previous consultant suggested.my agina symptoms have become worse and i am having them when at rest as well as when i mildy exert myself.im confused and now dont know whether my condition is as serious as the first consultant said or notse serious as the second consultant implied.
Tags: artery
I have the same type of spasms and they will wake you from a dead sleep. And I have blockages in my RCA that have been stented. I agree with your first doctor. If the syptoms (symptoms) are getting worse you need to get back to the ER.  I have to keep Nitro with me at all times because of the spasms.  The problem with these spasms is I got so used to them I didn't realize I was having a heart attack. My heart had been in a bad way for some time but I thought it was just the spasms. I was told had I waited any longer it would have been too late. Get back to the ER and insist on the cath and intervention.  I had several spasms during my last (February of this year) cath and intervention. At that time I needed another 3 stents in my right heart.  I will have to go back this month to have the left side evelauated, most likely intervened and my carotids stented.  Take care, Ally
Thanks for your reply ally I hope you get sorted soon .I keep my nitro with me at all times as well,I've very nearly rang the emergency services on a few occassions ,although like you I get so used to the attacks and don't use my spray  spray as I don't think the pain warrants it .although lately the pain has changed and become worse .  Lynne
Like I said, if the pain is worse and different get medical advise! I didn't when I should have.
I think that the philosophy behind stenting seems to be changing a bit. Cardiologists seem to wait as long as possible now to see if you form collateral vessels (natural bypasses) to help with the blood flow. I was once told by a top cardiac surgeon here in the UK that angina pain is usually from the left side of the heart, not the right. Are you sure there is nothing forming on the left side? Even a small blockage can give symptoms, it doesn't have to be 70% or more.