Heart Disease Expert Forum
96% blocked abdominal aorta

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

96% blocked abdominal aorta
My aunt who is 76 years old was found to have a96% blockage in her aorta. It was accidentally discovered during exploratory surgery. During the surgery a bowel problem was repaired and the doctor discovered the blocked aorta. She has no symptoms and seems very healthy. She travels around the world and walks constantly. She has an appointment with a specialist at the end of december. Isn't this a dangerous thing? Thank you for your response and for the great job you do. Martie
This is potentially serious, as it severely limits the blood flow to the legs. It surprises me that she has no symptoms with this blockage. Her body must have formed extensive collateral blood vessels, nature's way of re-routing blood around a severe blockage. Consultation with a specialist in vascular medicine is a good idea to see if anything needs to be done, or whether it is better to leave well enough alone.
Thank you so much for your quick response. You did state that this condition is serious. Is it life threatening ? CAn it cause a stroke or heart attack or just circulatory problems with her legs? She really has no symptoms and I even envy the energy this woman has, much more than me at age 47. What is the treament for an aortic blockage? Thanks again for your time and opinion.
A blockage in the abdominal aorta would not lead to a heart attack or stroke, but rather problems with the circulation to the legs. When such blockages cause symptoms, they are treated with either surgery or angioplasty
A related discussion, BLOCKAGE was started.
A related discussion, Heart attack was started.